Any Guesses? victoria regina?glaucophyllum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
This was sold to me many years ago as a species. What do you all think?
p1060840x.jpg

I am leaning more towards glaucophyllum.DO you have a plant shot?

Stuff like Utgard x moquetteanum or similar I think, it's nice, but does not looks like straight species (I know I am paranoid, but here...)

Leiminanum X moquettianum?

I've seen plants labeled as straight moquettianum with that much striping, but since its not typey, you probably don't want to take the risk if there is no source documentation

There have been a lot of these hybridized in the past as species but actually being hybrids. Some plants labeled chamberlainianum, glaucophyllum, etc were assumed by the breeder to be the same.....and the mistake is perpetuated.

The history behind this plant is of one of those mistaken hybridizing ones. The plant is an offspring of two identical plants purchased from the Orchid Zone many years ago labelled as Paph victoria regina. I having all the faith in the world of Terry really thought it was. He couldn't be wrong. I sold compots to a nursey on the East coast, have no idea who now. Then I had it in a display one year and Norito saw it. I told him what I believed it was and he said "No way". Norito then explained to me that Terry had crossed glaucophyllum by moquettianum and that is what I had (have). That's when I stopped believing in Santa Claus:(
So if you see a flower with this type of dorsal and their trying to pass it off as a species, beware!

It's definitely not a pure glauco, moq, liem, v-r.

How about a plant and inflorescence/bract pic...

Latest posts

Back