Any good recent treatments of the Genus Cypripedium?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

silence882

Lurker
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Cribb's 1998 book on Cypripedium, but it's a bit dated. Does anyone know of any good recent treatments of the genus?

JAB

Reaction score
Sadly I do not.
Both Phrag's and Cyp's are in desperate need of an extensive overview! I am really surprised Phrag's have not been tackled as S. America seems more accessible than most of the Asian countries where Paph's are found.

Rick

Reaction score
Sadly I do not.
I am really surprised Phrag's have not been tackled as S. America seems more accessible than most of the Asian countries where Paph's are found.
Hard to say. It seems every time you turn around you here about a drug cartel or revolution going on somewhere. The info seems to come out piecemeal.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Naoki, as for Cyps, there isn't much out there beyond what you already know about. You could check out Die Orchideengattung, Cypripedium (2009) by Eccarius, but of course its all in German. It is well illustrated with photos of the the plants, the seeds, embryos, habitats, you name it, so may worth while to track a copy down. Many do not agree with the taxonomy he presents however. Nevertheless, it is a well crafted book and comprehensive. I cannot comment on the writing since I do not read German.

Last edited: