Anticipation is making me wait

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
P. armeniacum is finally going to flower...well, let's hope those buds don't blast, or get eaten! The second shot is of a plant that flowered for me around 20 years ago. I was silly enough to track it's opening and made a composite photo. Too bad it didn't have better form.

Attachments

• PATDY.JPG
    PATDY.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 32
  • PaphArmeniacum.jpg
    PaphArmeniacum.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Tom, good luck with these two buds ! I'm looking forward to seeing fotos of them flowering here very soon.
Seems you had plenty of time 20 years ago to make this nice composite photo. 👍

Update on this plant. After a disappointing flowering last year (buds scorched by the sun), I am glad to report the plant is in flower again. This year I got smart and brought it inside to flower it under controlled conditions. Plant's stats:

- grown since ~2012, bought as a single flowering growth with a couple pups
- currently up to 27 growths
- two flowers just opened a couple days ago, one bud late in starting but coming along

I fell in love with this species when I first saw it at an orchid show in Gainesville, Florida circa 1988. I bought one in bud, and it did eventually flower, but then promptly keeled over, and I mean the whole plant. Inspection of the roots revealed that it had NONE, not one. As it turned out it was one of the thousands of P. armenicaum and P. micranthum ripped from the wild and mass exported in those early years. Live and learn.

Attachments

• PArmPLSM.JPG
    PArmPLSM.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PArmFLSSM.JPG
    PArmFLSSM.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 0
Congrats!! Wow~ I have not seen such wide chunky leaves on armeniacum.
The flowers look fairly large, too!
How do you keep them in the winter? and how long did it take from the first sight of emerging spike to open bloom?
I had one in low spike since last summer that dried up before I even saw the bud. Then, another one that started later in the fall and made it as far as a high bud, which then blasted two months ago.
Now, I have third plant in low bud. Something tells me this one will make it. 😁🍀

Congrats!! Wow~ I have not seen such wide chunky leaves on armeniacum.
The flowers look fairly large, too!
How do you keep them in the winter? and how long did it take from the first sight of emerging spike to open bloom?
I had one in low spike since last summer that dried up before I even saw the bud. Then, another one that started later in the fall and made it as far as a high bud, which then blasted two months ago.
Now, I have third plant in low bud. Something tells me this one will make it. 😁🍀
I'm not sure why it has more stout leaves than most. Probably because I grow it in fairly high light, and it dries out fast in the summer due to the intense heat (above 30 C daily). In winter it is kept under a fiberglass roofed porch, but otherwise is exposed to the elements. I water it just enough to keep it from completely drying out. This year there was a two day cold snap with temperatures ranging between -5 and 0 C, so it definitely can take some cold. I didn't notice the buds until sometime just after Christmas, and I check fairly often.

Good luck with flowering yours. Third time is a charm!

Latest posts

Back