Anticipation...Chiu Hua Dancer 'Wacky Worm' AM/AOS x St Swithin 'Cracked Pepper'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive blooms, looks like it will earn it's keep from now on!
Is that tape holding the spike to the stake?
-Patrick

Congrats on the growing, the plant is beautifully grown and 4 years from deflasking to flowering is great! My general take-away on complex multi breeding, at least from what I’ve seen so far, is that you end up with a lot of PEOY or Saint Swithin-looking offspring. I think the multi primaries are some of the best hybrids in the orchid world (I’m thinking Chiu Hua Dancer, WBW/JB, Lady Isobel) but my personal, unpopular opinion is that the more complex hybrids have been somewhat underwhelming. That being said, it’s still a nice flower, and maybe there will be a few outliers that bloom out with the best of both parents. In particular, those CHD curls. Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately, wading through dozens of SS or PEOY-looking things is the price of finding outliers. I knew it was coming. The precursors to modern complex Paphs were all a bunch of Maudiae & Leeanum looking things, too. Those curls will come out in a few outliers, probably the slower-growing runts. From there, those curls plus a wide dorsal and bright red petals will be the next goal.
You'll all probably like my Wössner Kolorand x rothschildianum cross better. Primary x species minimizes variation, and the randsii grandparent tends to be pretty dominant. I expect we'll see the first one before summer.

Its a seed grown plant it will probably be dog ugly for the first few blooms *please do not set orchids on fire*
-Patrick

So the CHD carried the capsule? Wow, I'm impressed no gig shape influence at all. The overall colors are really cool, very earth-toned.

Seems like gigantifolium might get overwhelmed quickly in second generation crosses, I bloomed this Hung Sheng Eagle x anitum last year that just looked like a mediocre Wössner Black Wings.

Attachments

• 20220307_090026.jpg
    20220307_090026.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back