Another try with Paph.canhii "fruit"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cxcanh

Reaction score
We tries for many years already but still not success...
This fruit is 14 moths old...

1CXC_1531.jpg

1CXC_1536.jpg

We tries for many years already but still not success...
This fruit is 14 moths old...

Yes,takes a lot of time....
I heard about only 2 suxcessfull germinations ... 1 in Thailand and one in China (Perner)

Good luck. Any word from Germany?

no,never seen reproduced plants...i was suxcessfull with 1 hybrid but not with the specie....

Hope thai and Chinese source will share the media specifications/pod timeing informations for reproduction so will be easyer to mass reproduce this very nice specie!!!

This seed pod does not appear to have made a successful fertilization; it is only slightly swollen. It should be almost double in circumference.

Since it is 14 months old I suggest to do a green-pod sowing now, but I do not think you will find mature seeds inside. Instead, I suggest you use your knife to scrape/cut small pieces from what 'look like' seeds and drop them directly onto the agar surface. This sometimes works and embryos will slowly develop into protocorms, but sometimes not.

Nearly all paphiopedilums require a separate clone to produce fertile seeds. Also, you probably do know the precise mechanics of just how to manipulate the pollen and smear it across the stigmatic surface to make positive contact; it is a particularly important process with certain species. Maybe this is one.

Next, time I would do a green-pod sowing at 9-10 months if the capsule swells to a 'normal' size

In addition, 'dry' pollen grains often are not quite as mature as 'gooey' pollen grains and the latter seem to always work better. The P. canhii pollen I've seen has been 'dry' and appeared immature.

And, Holger Perner has an excellent orchid germination medium that works for very many orchid types. I would ask him for his advice on flasking and for his medium choice.

This seed pod does not appear to have made a successful fertilization; it is only slightly swollen. It should be almost double in circumference.

Since it is 14 months old I suggest to do a green-pod sowing now, but I do not think you will find mature seeds inside. Instead, I suggest you use your knife to scrape/cut small pieces from what 'look like' seeds and drop them directly onto the agar surface. This sometimes works and embryos will slowly develop into protocorms, but sometimes not.

Nearly all paphiopedilums require a separate clone to produce fertile seeds. Also, you probably do know the precise mechanics of just how to manipulate the pollen and smear it across the stigmatic surface to make positive contact; it is a particularly important process with certain species. Maybe this is one.

Next, time I would do a green-pod sowing at 9-10 months if the capsule swells to a 'normal' size

In addition, 'dry' pollen grains often are not quite as mature as 'gooey' pollen grains and the latter seem to always work better. The P. canhii pollen I've seen has been 'dry' and appeared immature.

And, Holger Perner has an excellent orchid germination medium that works for very many orchid types. I would ask him for his advice on flasking and for his medium choice.

Thank you for your useful information and succession.

Yes, in making hundreds of selfings of orchid species and hybrids I have found that separate clones will almost always produce viable seeds while same pollen placed on stigmatic surface of same plant seldom will.

This is particularly so with paphiopedilums, but also with many other genera such as Oncidium and like genera, some laelias, etc....

Latest posts

Back