Another Species to Guess At

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Narrow mottled leaves with red undersides and long stalk !
Just bought two myself ... got greedy and noticed different leaf colorations on plants from different vendors.
Good luck and please, please ... post flower when open !
Cheers,
Tim

Narrow mottled leaves with red undersides and long stalk !
Just bought two myself ... got greedy and noticed different leaf colorations on plants from different vendors.
Good luck and please, please ... post flower when open !
Cheers,
Tim

I bought two from Matt Gore in summer 06, and one of those is the one in spike. The narrow leafed one (not in spike in the foreground) is from AA orchids. Marcus picked it up for me from an orchid convention in Florida in May 07.

Are you saying volonteanum????
Mine looks nothing like that. Maybe the patterns on top of the leaves, but there is not even close to that amount of color on the underside of the leaves. I also got mine from Matt sometime last year I think.

I'm laughing at myself right now because of my eariler post....since I DO have one and it's opening right now. I'm sure I'm going to love the flower, but now I want another one, or two that have more color on the underside of the leaves.

I'll post pictures of mine when it is fully open.

Craig

Craig, mine don't have as much red under the leaves as Rick's plant. I also picked up a cheap plant labelled as volonteanum at Peterborough last year that has no red pigmentation on the leaves at all ... and the leaf mottling is very indistinct to the extent that until it flowers I'm not convinced it is volonteanum at all. Maybe I'll post some foliage photos later.
Cheers,
Tim

Craig, mine don't have as much red under the leaves as Rick's plant. I also picked up a cheap plant labelled as volonteanum at Peterborough last year that has no red pigmentation on the leaves at all ... and the leaf mottling is very indistinct to the extent that until it flowers I'm not convinced it is volonteanum at all. Maybe I'll post some foliage photos later.
Cheers,
Tim

I was reading in Cribb's book Slipper Orchids or Borneo that under-leaf pigment is highly variable even within local populations. In the pictures of my plants the foreground plant (which is from AA orchids) has lots of pigment on all leaves. The youngest leave on the one from Matt is heavily pigmented, but if you look at older leaves (not viewable in the photo) there is considerably less pigment, and generally less than the AA plant. The amount of pigment may also have to do with growing conditions, and I grow these guys burried under a big pot of hirsutisimum on the NW side of the GH, and within 4 ft of the wet pad. So its pretty shaded, cool and humid, which may promote more dark pigment development.

Interesting regarding the variable pigmentation. I grow mine under lights with the rest of my plants. Maybe I'm giving it too much light. However, now that it's about to be in bloom I think I'll keep it this way for now. Maybe a day or two yet before it's fully open. I really like what it is showing so far.

Craig

Interesting regarding the variable pigmentation. I grow mine under lights with the rest of my plants. Maybe I'm giving it too much light. However, now that it's about to be in bloom I think I'll keep it this way for now. Maybe a day or two yet before it's fully open. I really like what it is showing so far.

Craig

Sounds like yours is about the same as mine, which started spiking in Oct/Nov of last year.

Something like that. I'm sure I should take notes and write down when they start to spike and when they bloom and such, but I never do.

Maybe someday...

Craig

From my experience, the pigmentation under the leaves grows much darker when they are grown cooler; when I've imported these from nurseries growing them in tropical conditions, the new leaves don't have much in the way of pigmentation underneath... but after I grow them a bit cooler for a while, they darken up.

Sorry I haven't been around much; too much going on here, and none of it is orchid related :(

- Matt

Back