Another roth' question.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
I have been advised that seedling roth' outcrosses are available at a good price, for Australia anyway, and I was wondering if anyone knew the varieties being used in the breeding.
They are: Salt & Pepper......Great Wings........Black Star.

I am not sure which country of origin they are from...poss' Thailand ???

They r from Manchan at Tokyo Orchid Nursery. They have incredible roths. Besides the Orchid Zone they prob have the best roth breeding and these r some of their best along with 'perfection', 'canadian club' and 'titanic'. TON has a whole greenhouse of roths and Val x MM is their cross. Giant wings actually won the world orchid conference

If someone with more time than I, and an interest, would like a project for the forum, I think that a family tree of Paph. rothschildianum would be a really nice thing for us to have a link to. The origins of the roths, their improvements, and how things are proceeding (and who the breeders responsible are). It is definitely the plant about which we discuss the breeding history and future most.

I agree. I have had no luck with roths...my last died at 2" across, several years after I bought it at 9" across. Whenever I see one offered, and consider it, I always check to see if its a "Charles E" cross. I have read that these are the slowest and most difficult of the common roth crosses...whether its true or not, since I can't afford a mature roth in the first place, I am not about to risk wasting my time on a strain known to be difficult. Take care, Eric

If someone with more time than I, and an interest, would like a project for the forum, I think that a family tree of Paph. rothschildianum would be a really nice thing for us to have a link to. The origins of the roths, their improvements, and how things are proceeding (and who the breeders responsible are). It is definitely the plant about which we discuss the breeding history and future most.

Great idea! That would be really useful. :clap:

Paphioland, you have made my day. I've ordered 2 each of roth', Salt & Pepper x Great Wings and Great Wings x Black Star. They are around the 200mm (8inch) L/S and the first cross $40 each, the second $35 each (A$)
Might have to consider uping the order but there are some MK x sanderianum and other multis plus some great Maudiae crosses available also.
( might need a bank loan here )

I think it is giant wings gc/woc. I hope at least that is what it is. I am pretty sure it is because I know that those crosses have been made.

I think this is a GREAT idea. I've held back volunteering because I wouldn't know where to start.:confused: Anything I know about roth lines has been learned by checking out websites of growers that offer them. Maybe there would be a couple of others to help, this way it's not as time consuming for just one person. The more resources the better!

I have one roth' already which I believe the seed can from France. If roth' " Charles E " is supposed to be a slow grower, then this one must be a selfing coz' it grows twice as slow as any paph I know. I've had it for 3 years and its made one & half leaves.

Paphioland, you have made my day. I've ordered 2 each of roth', Salt & Pepper x Great Wings and Great Wings x Black Star. They are around the 200mm (8inch) L/S and the first cross $40 each, the second $35 each (A$)
Might have to consider uping the order but there are some MK x sanderianum and other multis plus some great Maudiae crosses available also.
( might need a bank loan here )

IF it is Giant wings that is an unbelievable price for 8 inch span. I know that the flasks if you can even get them run 500$

Perfection x giant wings is the best cross from the group. Ask if he has those.

Wish I could get my hands on some of those crosses! Ron - how about you?
Paphioland we need you on that roth history/family tree project!

Wish I could get my hands on some of those crosses! Ron - how about you?
Paphioland we need you on that roth history/family tree project!
I actually have a few of these crosses with giant wings
I am working on a power point presentation and someone very knowledgable about roths and orchids in general has already started to tackle this tall task. It will prob take him some time.

Latest posts

Back