another Randy Randolph

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
You rarely see this one about. It was nice to see another one. The petal stance is much different than Gilda's. The petals are not hound-eared on mine. Here is mine for comparison. I also love the foliage on this one too.

16db0f9a.jpg

Dear Ron NY I like the two Randy Randolph very much. They do not look alike to me and perhaps the naming is not quite right. I like to grow colour variations of the same type but the two Randy Randolph don't have anything similar, in shape, colour and form. All the best for the coming year, Bernhard

Dear Ron-NY.Randy Randolph is a primary hybrid involving P.primulinum and P.sukhakulii.and petals should be standing level and not hound-eared, Berhard.

actually, Randy Randolph is sukhakulii x hirsutissimum...
my opinion is that they are the same cross and the differences are not unusual.

The petal spread is almost 6"

Todd, I think I made this pic with my Toshiba, I mostly use my Olympus now and rarely pick up the Toshiba these days. I really want a DSLR

Hello Likespaphs.
Thanks for your suggestion that Randy Randolph is sukhakulii x hirsutissimum. I went back to check some of my books as I thought Randy Randolph had primulinum in it.
Koopowitz and Hasegawa state in their book 'Novelty Slipper Orchids' that 'two recently registered primary hybrids involve crosses with P. primulinum and P. sukhakuli to make P. Hirsulinum and P. Randy Randolph respectively.' (p129).
However this book is a little older now and I was wondering if there was a more recent school of thought that put hirsutissimum in the picture?
I welcome your discussion on this.

Kind Regards, Bernhard.

Latest posts

Back