Another Paph. Mem. Larry Heuer or Paph. Shun-Fa Golden?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdlsreno

Reaction score
This plant was passed on to by my friend who is moving to Hawaii. This was bought three years ago at the fall AOS trusties meeting in Napa. I have my doubts if it is a true Paph. Mem. Larry Heuer. The staminode has that little bump at the center that most Paph. hangianum has which Paph emersonii don't. and the flower is big about 13 cm. I did not enter the plant for judging since there is a color break on the dorsal sepals and it is to cup. I still like it and it smell like honey. Another thing, the synsepal is large.

Ramon:)

Paph. Mem. Larry Heuer or Paph. Shun-Fa Golden?
2258990962_f5a213d953_b.jpg

I like it a lot, whichever it is! As the hybrid name implies, it does seem like it'd be more golden if it were made with hangianum--this is looking minty-fresh. I bet others are going to be curious about what the whole staminode looks like too.

It's a keeper, that's for sure! Did you get it from Gene? I was sick during that Members Meeting and I missed it! Tell him to pass some of these my way before he leaves:>

Ramon

I think the answer can be found in comparing your flower with Eric's Mem Larry Heuer.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6624

As you pointed out:
-the dorsal & synsepal are quite chubby and no sign of twisted dorsal.
-Hung sheng nursery also have a couple hangianums with the break color on the dorsals: ex. Hung Sheng hang 122, Hung Sheng hang 5.
-Check the texture of your flower's pouch, I have never seen the Shun-fa Golden hybrid yet, but I would guess that the thick texture & opaque pouch of hangianum /versus thin & translucent pouch of emersonii will show up in the hybrid. Again see the difference between your & Eric's flowers.
-I think Mem Larry Heuer would narrow down the hybrid's staminode a little bit. The bump that you point out however could have been contributed by malipoense.
-There also is a green Shun-Fa Golden in page 102 book IV paphiopedilum in Taiwan
- Your flower does take a lot after the malipoense parent, I think that is why the staminode did not show much of the radiated tiger stripes of hangianum staminode

Last edited:
Here are two pictures from in-Charm Orchids of Paph. Shun-Fa Golden.

Ramon:)

Attachments

• 2132Hilo1.jpg
    2132Hilo1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 2132Hilo2.jpg
    2132Hilo2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 30
looks very much like a Shun Fa Golden to me. how big is the flower ?

I think if it were Mem Larry Heuer the staminode would be more elongated.

ALso another indication could be the fragrance. Shun Fa Golden takes from hangianum fragrance very often ( sort of honey + floral fragrance mixed, very pleasant)

very nice anyway !

very beautiful. I hope that I will have one nearly as good as yours one day. Bernhard

Latest posts

Back