Another Paph dianthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

This one didn't come from Heather. I got this from Ratcliffe a couple years ago.... its' been grown in the deep shade, I was really surprised to see it bloom this year.

Anyway, here's the strangely shaped bloom thats open....

paph-dianthum2a.jpg

And a close up...

paph-dianthum2b.jpg

and a not close up....

paph-dianthum2c.jpg

I like the ruffled petals on this one :)

- Matt

Your photos are wonderful, I love the closeups, shows detail one normally doesn't get a chance to see!

Thanks for the photo Matt. It's beautiful. Don't all paphs have strangely shaped blooms? This one is definitely on my wish list.

I think I would like one of these strange beauties myself. Also, I like your first photo in this set of three. Are you using some type of pin spot?

Well, I'm pollinating these plants, and will have blooming sized plants to sell in a mere 7 years :)

The lighting on all of my photos is basically the same.... I've chosen a lighting setup that makes taking photos pretty quick and reliable, although it is better for some blooms than others....

Basically, I have a 500W Quartz Halogen work light that I reflect off of a screen on my ceiling. The only part of the setup that is really adjustable is the angle of the screen... in this case, it was at approximately 30 degrees away from the ceiling. Of course, I can then tilt or turn the bloom for fine adjustments, but I've tried to come up with a setup that allows me to take a decent photo in just a few minutes, rather than dealing with overhead lights and front lights and side lights and snoots and fill reflectors. As I say, sometimes the results are better than others, but at least I'm not spending my whole day taking pictures.

That reminds me that I was going to write up a short tutorial for Zach....

- Matt

Latest posts

Back