Another native: Platanthera cristata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Despite yesterday's hurricane and me getting to the site weeks after peek flowering, there was ONE flowering individual of P. cristata left. I couldn't decide which photo I liked best, so here's all three:

img2232mediumvc1.jpg

img2233mediumoi5.jpg

img2236mediumdl8.jpg

Most were already in fruit, like this one:
img2239mediumcj5.jpg

And here's a bonus! We stumbled across a variegated form of Malaxis unifolia!
img2249mediumgv5.jpg

Also, you guys should bug Chris to post his photos. They are much better than mine!

We have heard of those variegated Malaxis unifolia, I think in P.M. Brown's revised edition of 'Florida Wild Orchids' he has a picture of a single plant... great find!

-Pat

OK here are some photos of the same Platanthera taken 3 weeks ago when in peak bloom. I love this plant because none of the other natives are ORANGE like this! Props to Zach for spotting that variegated Malaxis.
platantheracris2rt6.jpg

Hand for scale.
platantheracris3zy9.jpg

Here's a shot of the group. They are growing along a old logging trail in mixed pine-hardwoods. I counted 25 plants in bloom.
platantheracris1lq7.jpg

I feel like I've disrespected my fellow botanists by claiming P. cristata as the only eastern US native that is orange. Obviously there are others, P. ciliaris, P. integra, etc. Just had to clear that up. But, this is a slipper forum....so back to the slippers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are awesome! They remind me a little bit of some of the small disas, except for the lip.

Matt

Back