Another hirsutissimun

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dustywoman

This is nowhere as nice as Ricks recently posted one!!! :drool:

It is var. esquirolei ('A World of Orchids' AM'AOS x 'Limrick' AM/AOS) and it is no where the size of Ricks, coming in at 9cm. It's a second blooming and I liked the petal presentation and the colors, so I thought I would post it.

keeper4.jpg

keeper5.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

That's a different petal presentation. Held forward but reflexed back instead of twisted. There's allot of variation in this species/variety. I think they are all pretty.

Your photos show what looks to me like a hybrid. Unfortunately, when breeders make crosses with plants which have been in cultivation for many years, as opposed to plants collected from the jungle, and when identities are not verified, mistakes are often the result.

P. esquirolei is quite distinctive. You can see a photo of a jungle-collected plant on p. 80 of my grower's manual.

I would guess that your plant has P. chiwuanum in it (p. 81), but until you are able to verify each parent, you can never know for sure.

This problem is serious and there currently does not seem to be any way to fix it.

Your photos show what looks to me like a hybrid. Unfortunately, when breeders make crosses with plants which have been in cultivation for many years, as opposed to plants collected from the jungle, and when identities are not verified, mistakes are often the result.

P. esquirolei is quite distinctive. You can see a photo of a jungle-collected plant on p. 80 of my grower's manual.

I would guess that your plant has P. chiwuanum in it (p. 81), but until you are able to verify each parent, you can never know for sure.

This problem is serious and there currently does not seem to be any way to fix it.

Hi Lance,

Thank you for your comments. Since I do have your book, I'll have to check out the pages you referenced. I always get confused with species vs variety.
Would this be a naturally occuring hybrid?

I did get this plant from a reputable source (Ratcliffe's, when we were still lucky enough to have them located in the USA) so , whatever it is, it's healthy and doing very well. So, the hybrid part is not a problem for me; just makes it more interesting.

Thanks for the info. It's all good.

Latest posts

Back