Another Henryanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Although this henryanum is very much like most of the other henrys' posted this season, I think it has a couple of special attributes. It is a first blooming seedling from a breeding I did in 2005 with pollen supplied by another SlipperTalk member (Dusty Women, Susan). So another SlipperTalk cooperative breeding project! Also, this seedling is one of the first of a group of slippers that got set up in my sphagnum/basket system in Jan of this year. So the system is capable of supporting growth and flowering for at least 9 months. This plant has added a few new growths since Jan. too.

I have 5 or so others left from this compot growing well in standard bark mix/plastic pots, but this one seems to have jumped ahead a bit in the basket system.

I hope you enjoy this 6 year effort as much as I do!

Yeah for the ST cooperative!!!! very cool bloom!!!! Do you have this one in pure sphagnum or !? How often do you water it? Jean

Yeah for the ST cooperative!!!! very cool bloom!!!! Do you have this one in pure sphagnum or !? How often do you water it? Jean

This basket has a mixture or sphagnum/limestone chips/silica (or building sand)/aragonite sand. The aragonite sand is a pH buffer sand for aquariums, and I use a small amount as top dress. The overall volume of sphagnum is probably around 60%.

I water superficially every day like any other mounted orchid. I give a heavy watering and feeding once a week.

Great effort Rick with great turn out. How many plants did you end up raising?

I still have about 6 or so. They are still potted std in a bark mix. One is actually bigger (but with a few less growths) than this one in the basket. Maybe it will bloom this fall.

These were the seedlings that I hit with a mycorrhizal inoculate a few years ago that got them out of their 1st slump. At that time I think I had closer to 20. I think I sold a few too.

Latest posts

Back