Another Fuukiran/Neofinetia Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
This was a trip I took in early July in the midst of the epic flooding southern Japan suffered. In the video I go to a local Neo nursery to see their show, and the next day hike the mountains searching for Oreorchis patens, a terrestrial orchid. The last 8 minutes are cycling home out of the mountains and through the urban jungle.

Fuukiran Show and Orchid Hunt

Fuki2018.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. Since we grow so many things with aerial roots maybe I'll try Furikan again but mounted. BTW, wish you had shown the hot spring hotel and the wife!

Cool, ty
Isn’t there a typhoon there now or just left?

Charles, the typhoon passed well east of my area. Not so much as a breeze here. Also, the earthquakes you may have heard of were in Hokkaido, again, very far away. We did have a pretty good one a week ago, enough to shake my whole house and wake me up! Life in Japan...

Thanks for sharing. Since we grow so many things with aerial roots maybe I'll try Furikan again but mounted. BTW, wish you had shown the hot spring hotel and the wife!

Eric, good idea. Growing them in sphagnum is not the easiest thing, in fact it is high maintenance. They do well on tree fern or just plain wood, though I'd use a sphagnum ball to keep the roots happy. I should have put in a couple shots of the hotel, but it wasn't a fancy one. Photographing the hot spring is of course off limits since it is both public and everyone is naked! The wife was home this trip - I was wild and solo and on the bike in the urban jungle!

Thanks for nice video! Too bad the flowering season was over, but it is great that they are doing well. It looked like you were riding fast, passing several cars!

We went to Japan early Aug (the first time for our 6 year old son). The return flight was from Fukuoka, so we were there for 2 days. I thought about seeing you, but the schedule was a bit too tight (e.g. visiting Pokemon Center, the new science museum in Ropponmatsu etc.). It was hell hot there! From your sweat at the end, I'm guessing it was a hot day!

Thanks for nice video! Too bad the flowering season was over, but it is great that they are doing well. It looked like you were riding fast, passing several cars!

We went to Japan early Aug (the first time for our 6 year old son). The return flight was from Fukuoka, so we were there for 2 days. I thought about seeing you, but the schedule was a bit too tight (e.g. visiting Pokemon Center, the new science museum in Ropponmatsu etc.). It was hell hot there! From your sweat at the end, I'm guessing it was a hot day!

Ha! Yes, being on vacation is sometimes more stressful than just staying home. Of course you came during the peak heat season, and yet, this year we had even hotter weather in July. I think the highest was 38 C (100 F), which is unusual for us. Then again in midsummer we never see temperatures below 27 C (80 F) even as a night time low - a far cry from Fairbanks! In the video I had just finished a 40 km ride through a major city, so you better believe I was sweating!:D

Back