another faithful bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
seems like this guy is in bloom again ^^ it really never stops for long before itz blooming again. the last bloom was from about mid june until about late october. hope you guys enjoy ^^ i think itz just the nature of the plant, but i can never get the flowers to have as much substance as it use to have. any suggestions? and as you all can see, the way the flowers developed on the stem ain't the best but itz definitely better than the summer bloom

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

as for those who read my post of my phal mannii and phal cornu-cervi http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6016&highlight=mannii, the cc is developing its first bloom ^^ i cannot wait until that happens--twin spikes too ^^ it might be a alittle bit hard to see but one is developing right above the broken root in the second pic. the other spike is quite obvious

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

i never allow my plant to bloom on secondary spikes--just a habit, so itz a primary spike ^^

Well, and bear with me now, if the new spike has as large a diameter as the previous one, then the plant is not in trouble. If the new spike is smaller then it may be one of several things.

Some Phal hybrids have been, over time, selected for the ability to produce flowers to the point that they can sorta lose their "survival instinct" and can bloom themselves to death. In nature they bloom once a year and then grow and "recharge" for the next cycle. Lower light in the summer will stop the flowering cycle and let them build back up for the next year.

Many commercial nurseries now use growth regulators to produce larger, heavier flowers on plants with smaller, but thicker, leaves. Unless you are willing to use those, and grow in a greenhouse, it's unlikely you'll be able to reproduce the results they get.

I'm sure there are more variables involved in the cultural aspects (light, humidity, feeding, etc) that are just impossible to duplicate in a home setting, that will also effect the quality of the blooms. If the plants seems healthy. New leaves are nice and shiny and turgid, then you are most likely doing the best you can under the conditions you have to work with.

Keep up the good work!!

charlie c

haha true say, the sequential photos do look like as if we are flying and getting closer and closer and closer to the flower, haha

Latest posts

Back