Another day in Africa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew! Glad to see your relief at the waterhole... it must be a truly wrenching experience each time. Hard on all of you. Expensive. Difficult. And necessary. What a lot of guts and love!

Thank you all for your positive comments. I have just spoken to one of my rangers and he tells me that the animals have settled nicely and are behaving as if nothing happened. We start with supplimenting the feed next week (mid winter). This will reduce the grazing and browsing pressure on the 'veld', and ensure that the animals all make it through the dry season without too much stress. It is now that the females start to struggle as most of them are pregnant after the rutting season.

Fantastic! What a life you live, very nearly the opposite of my own. It would be easy to say "you are so lucky", but the responsibility of your work is almost hard to imagine. I love the view of your "farm" - truly an eden.

A gin and tonic by the water tower after work - a man after my own heart!

We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Fascinating Trithor! The stuff of Movies! Giraffe is one of my favorite African animals. I hear that in some areas (all?) they are becoming endangered. Is it true there are different species? Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures of the beautiful scenery. Love to see some shots of the sun setting behind the flat topped Acacias:poke: BTW have you ever tried slbs of Acacia bark for mounting orchids?

Fascinating Trithor! The stuff of Movies! Giraffe is one of my favorite African animals. I hear that in some areas (all?) they are becoming endangered. Is it true there are different species? Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures of the beautiful scenery. Love to see some shots of the sun setting behind the flat topped Acacias:poke: BTW have you ever tried slbs of Acacia bark for mounting orchids?

Southern African acasias are very thin barked appart from erioloba which has a thick fissured bark that seems to retain water quite well (moss and lichens establish quite easily on them even in the dry climate. They are one of my favourite trees in that part of the world as they have an ancient look to them, almost like giant sized bonsai.

Here's a little article on different giraffes: http://animals.pawnation.com/different-giraffe-species-2590.html
It uses the word 'subspecies'.

Latest posts

Back