Another Cattleya Bob Betts ‘white lightning’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the end of year two after crossing the pond from Orchids Limited so the plant is now well established. Three growths have produced six buds (there were seven but I removed one- no room for it) and these are the first to open.
The bloom are much bigger this year, at just under eight inches (19cm) across.
I’ll post again when all six are open. At this size it’s quite a feat to get them to show properly and not be too crowded. Already I’ve had to move and manipulate the new growths with twisty ties to try to allow the flowers more room to open.
C0F4A32A-ABA4-4B08-B5EF-348A9EFEA22D.jpeg6FB91BF3-410D-4717-9DD6-AD7537D55820.jpeg38434AEF-14A7-471B-858C-47D0E07BC345.jpeg
The only problem with it now is that it’s not really a windowsill plant any longer. Too big. It may have to be divided next spring,
David

Last edited:
I am jumping out of my chair with excitement :) My Bob Betts 'White Lightning' x Bow Bells 'Snowflake' appears to have something tiny at the bottom of its sheath. Fingers crossed it will be as wonderful as this!

This is the end of year two after crossing the pond from Orchids Limited so the plant is now well established. Three growths have produced six buds (there were seven but I removed one- no room for it) and these are the first to open.
I’ll post again when all six are open. At this size it’s quite a feat to get them to show properly and not be too crowded. Already I’ve had to move and manipulate the new growths with twisty ties to try to allow the flowers more room to open.
View attachment 30567View attachment 30568View attachment 30569
The only problem with it now is that it’s not really a windowsill plant any longer. Too big. It may have to be divided next spring,
David
The flowers really seems so big!👌
What a pitty you will have to divided, I love big plants

View attachment 30567View attachment 30568View attachment 30569
David
David that’s spectacular! Great growing, especially with the variables of windowsills.

David, I am not remembering very well the particulars of your Cattleya windowsill growing, other than you are getting acceptable natural daylight. What is your potting mix, how often do you water, and what nutrition are you using?

Leslie, it’s quite a surprise seeing the flowers so much bigger this year. They were closer to six inches last year.
This years growths are no bigger than last, a bit of disappointment if I’m honest. So the difference must be the more established root system.
Terry, all the catts are grown in plastic pots, inside another container to shield the pots from the sun. I use large grade orchiata for the compost. I water maybe once or twice a week in summer and every two weeks in winter. I use the weight of the pot as a guide to when to water.
I use rain water and Akerne’s rain mix for both the phrags and catts year round. No difference. Feeding is at every watering. In summer the TDS maybe around 180 and winter closer to 120, but I am not precious about it and rarely check with the meter.
Getting on top of the periodic breakouts of scale has been the biggest issue once, thanks to this forum, the culture issues were sorted.
I use a neonic spray and eternal vigilance. I check the plants every week and am scrupulous to remove dead sheaths and anywhere they may lurk. This year I removed compost from the pots to expose every bit of rhizome. This is where the last of the scale was lurking. Any outbreak is treated at least three times at weekly intervals. It’s easy to remove them from stems and leaves, they are easy to spot, much less so on underground rhizomes.
So for a couple of months now, there has been no visible scale.
Daytime temps without sun are about 22c, but in the sun maybe up to 30c in summer. Nights may drop to 18c, it depends on whether I have remembered to pull the curtains and sandwich the plants between them and the windows. Most times I do remember but I don’t fret about it. There are some plants where I never close the curtains and they do fine.
In summer when there is no central heating, the humidity is 50-70%, but it drops in winter. Not sure what to, I’ve never measured it.

Today I am trying to manipulate the direction that the last three flowers face by moving the plant around as the buds open. They try to face towards the light just as the buds swell and burst.
It’s quite easy when you are a windowsill grower and have directional light.
This should mean less crowding and better presentation of the flowers.
In the photo I am trying to get the two buds that are about to burst to face to the right and away from the open blooms.
0E0288DD-543B-4522-B8F8-5EC0453F1FE1.jpeg

Latest posts

Back