Angraecum popowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This is the first bloom for me. It was obtained via Madagascar import by Louisiana Orchid Connection in Spring 2017. It was in a very good condition from the beginning. Following Cribb and Herman's artificial key, it seems to be correctly identified. But I'm not an angraecoid expert, so please let me know if I made a mistake. More photos and notes about ID (more like a reminder to myself) are in my Orchid Borealis blog post.

This one has a strong fragrance. After taking photos, I put it in a relatively dark place while I was working on another plant. After 30 min. or so, I noticed very pleasant smell in the room. I think that it is very similar to Vanda (Neofinetia) falcata, but it is much stronger.

I recently learned about Nik Collection, which was released for free by google. I've kept my post-processing simple, but some of these modules seem to be very simple to use, and do good job. For this set of photos, I used their adaptive sharpening, which seems to be much simpler to use than Lightroom one. If you haven't checked them out, here is the link.

Angraecum popowii on Flickr

Angraecum popowii (plant) on Flickr

It's a cutie. I've resisted getting one when I've seen them for sale (through LOC and others). Partially because I assumed the terete leaves mean it needs more light, and partially because I've read some reports of this being a finicky species. Glad to see you're doing well with it.

It's a cutie. I've resisted getting one when I've seen them for sale (through LOC and others). Partially because I assumed the terete leaves mean it needs more light, and partially because I've read some reports of this being a finicky species. Glad to see you're doing well with it.

That was my impression, too. But habitat description said that it is from shady forest. I'm giving moderate amount of light (more than Paphs, but less than Cattleya). According to Tin (of LOC), some species were thought to be difficult because of the sub optimum initial conditions, but they haven't had troubles with their Madagascar imports.

This species is highly fragrant. The fragrance is very similar to Vanda (Neofinetia) falcata, but it is more intense.

I adore Angs, but they don't seem to like my greenhouse
conditions. Do you grow this one cool?

This species is from 1200-1500m, so I think it will do well in intermediate. Mine is at 24/13-16C (75/55-60F), but it was 29/18C (84/65F) around the hottest time of the summer (it was very cold summer here, so we didn't have many of these days). Interesting that they don't do well in your place. For me, they seem to be quicker growing in general than some of Phalaenopsis species, which you grow well.

Latest posts

Back