Angraecum elephantinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol ... that root is fantastic. I love angs, And hope to grow my dideri half so well. :)

A.elephantinum is a bit of a mistery. I had a couple of plants that where identical to this one but they were also identical (too me) to didieri.
After a talk on these species at our club, the speaker showed a slide of what he called elephantinum. It had a very long extention to the lip slowy tapered and pointed. At least as long as the spur. It was obvious why this plant was named after an elephant. Since then, I have not been able to find another pic of this plant, but it definitely exists and if it is the true elephantinum all the others you see around may be wrongly named.

Yeah, the curly spur reminds me of the trunk of an elephant.

If I remember correctly, the spur on didieri was not coiled up like this??

This flower does look awful lot like that of didieri.

A.elephantinum is a bit of a mistery. I had a couple of plants that where identical to this one but they were also identical (too me) to didieri.
After a talk on these species at our club, the speaker showed a slide of what he called elephantinum. It had a very long extention to the lip slowy tapered and pointed. At least as long as the spur. It was obvious why this plant was named after an elephant. Since then, I have not been able to find another pic of this plant, but it definitely exists and if it is the true elephantinum all the others you see around may be wrongly named.
That's interesting! Do theses image from the Angraecum Encyclopedia look more like what the speaker showed at your meeting, Stone? (The curly spur is also quite visible.)

Angraecum_elephantinum_DK_660.jpg

Angraecum_elephantinum_1_400_1.jpg

Here's a view of a. didieri, also from the Encyclopedia, with a good view of the lip (and the non-curling spur).

Angraecum_didieri_3_300a.jpg

That's interesting! Do theses image from the Angraecum Encyclopedia look more like what the speaker showed at your meeting, Stone? (The curly spur is also quite visible.)

Angraecum_elephantinum_DK_660.jpg

Angraecum_elephantinum_1_400_1.jpg

Here's a view of a. didieri, also from the Encyclopedia, with a good view of the lip (and the non-curling spur).

Angraecum_didieri_3_300a.jpg

It's getting there but imagine the tip of the lip much longer/pointed.

Latest posts

Back