Angraecum elephantinum...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stella

Reaction score
The flower emerged upside-down....it is bigger than the hole plant:)
It smells like citrus and jasmin at night....

I wonder if it is not really didieri? Anyone know the difference between these two species? I'm curious because some time ago, a vendor received a shipment of so-called elephantinum which turned out to be didieri.

I wonder if it is not really didieri? Anyone know the difference between these two species? I'm curious because some time ago, a vendor received a shipment of so-called elephantinum which turned out to be didieri.

I dont know much of plant taxonomy, I bought it as elaphantinum, it looks like didieri, they both look the same to me,the only clue that I think it is elephantinum, is the flower season, since didieri blooms in the spring in northern hemisphere....Further than that , nothing:confused:
It would be nice to hear the opinion of someone expert ....

And here was my elaphantinum... Unfortunatly I managed to kill it....

Angraecumelephantinum_web.jpg

It is hard to tell elephantinum from didieri, there are floral differences but I can't remember exactly. If I remember correctly, both plants are relatively small, but the largest a didieri will get is right at the smallest average size for a blooming elephantinum. Elephantinum flowers are over 2 1/2 inches, I couldn't find a measurement for the elephantinum nectary. Leaves can be longer than for inches especially on a mature specimen. If the flower Eyrthrone posted is over 2 1/2 inches, but less than 4 inches it might be elephantinum. My Angraecum virquieri flowers are pretty big, I'd say over 4 inches, and once open a few days have a strong copper color to petals and sepals.

Didieri will remain a smaller plant with leaves less than 4 inches long, and roughly 2 inch to 2 1/2 inches flowers with a nectary over 5 inches long. Note that the didieri top flower size is 2 1/2 inches. Many times a young didieri the flowers are bigger than the spread of a pair of leaves, the plant can hide behind its flower.

Good job Ery :rollhappy: I killed 3 didieri already. If only I could find a way to thrive...

Bravo Stella, well done! I'm jealous! :clap:

It is hard to tell elephantinum from didieri, there are floral differences but I can't remember exactly. If I remember correctly, both plants are relatively small, but the largest a didieri will get is right at the smallest average size for a blooming elephantinum. Elephantinum flowers are over 2 1/2 inches, I couldn't find a measurement for the elephantinum nectary. Leaves can be longer than for inches especially on a mature specimen. If the flower Eyrthrone posted is over 2 1/2 inches, but less than 4 inches it might be elephantinum. My Angraecum virquieri flowers are pretty big, I'd say over 4 inches, and once open a few days have a strong copper color to petals and sepals.

Didieri will remain a smaller plant with leaves less than 4 inches long, and roughly 2 inch to 2 1/2 inches flowers with a nectary over 5 inches long. Note that the didieri top flower size is 2 1/2 inches. Many times a young didieri the flowers are bigger than the spread of a pair of leaves, the plant can hide behind its flower.

Yes the bloom was over 2,5 inches. And no my plant was not a viguieri... The foliage (shape, texture, number on the stem) is very different.

I hope this is ok to post coming from another forum...this link is one of a few discussions there from real Angraecoid nuts on the proper IDs of this group.

In my opinion, the one pictured at the start of this thread is didieri, but who really knows??

Thanks, goods. Studying all the photos posted here and on other forums and orchidspecies.com, I think I understand the differences.

Back