Angraecum didieri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This is from spring 2017 Madagascar import by LOC.

Measurements:
Spur: 11cm
Dorsal sepal: 35 x 9mm
Lateral sepal: 36 x 7mm
Petal: 35 x 5mm
Lip: 36 x 23mm
Ovary: 23mm
Stem to the base of ovary: 16mm
Leaf: 60x14mm
It has sessile-leaves (the base of the leaf wraps around the stem), so if I exclude the area which is wrapping around the stem, the length is about 46mm.

With the key of Cribb and Hermans "Field Guide to the Orchids of Madagascar", it does seem to key out to A. didieri. Overall, the measurements fit with the description except two aspects. Lip is supposed to be 23-32 x 12-15mm, but mine is 23mm wide. Leaf is supposed to be 6-10mm wide, but mine is wider at 14mm. So I still wonder about the id.

Angraecum didieri on Flickr

Angraecum didieri (plant) on Flickr

Angraecum didieri (lip) by Naoki Takebayashi, on Flickr

Angraecum didieri (ovary) on Flickr

This wide leaves look very different from what I used to have (from Oak Hill Gardens).

Angraecum didieri (leaves) on Flickr

Angraecum didieri (roots) on Flickr

I love this species so much!

For what it's worth, my plant is nice and mature with 3 growths, and the leaves on the largest growth are around 15 - 16 mm at their widest. And the flowers are variable in size, even on a given plant. Sometimes a growth will produce a "dinky" flower, sometimes it'll produce a giant flower. Same thing with flower count. Any given spike seems to produce 1 - 3 flowers.

I know there are a lot of similar looking species, but for what it's worth I think your plant is didieri, or at least if it's not, then mine is also probably mislabeled.

If only mine could do something else than staying alive! I don't know what to do with this one to make it happy enough to bloom.

Congrats!!! It is beautiful! :clap:

If only mine could do something else than staying alive! I don't know what to do with this one to make it happy enough to bloom.

Congrats!!! It is beautiful! :clap:

Bright light and lots of water go a long way. They do best mounted. You might also have to buy a few different plants to get one of the really vigorous ones.

I love Angs and can't grow them worth a damn. This
flower is soooo lovely. I assume it enjoys coolish temps?

Angela, this one is more of intermediate to warm.

Some people suspect that some of them circulated as A. didieri could be unintentional hybrids (because the ID is difficult). There is an article by Hermans in Orchids (June, 2017) about the related species, but I haven't gotten hold of it yet.

How do you like the scent?
I find it terrible. It could just be the one I had, but it had this very sharp unpleasant chemical scent that reminded me of the same smell of the antiseptic agent they use at a hospital. lol

I happen to have 3 or 4 Angraecoids flowering simultaneously, and it is fun to compare the scent (I usually forget to check it until someone asks about it). They are very different, and I wonder if people can use them to distinguish species. A. didieri is probably the least favorite among the four. I wouldn't call it terrible, but I can see that some people might not like it. It reminds me of urinal balls. I'm not sure if these urinal balls exists/existed, but in Japan, people used to put them in urinal to override the pee smell (before flushing toilets).
Alaska+027.JPG

Does it smell like moth balls (naphthalene)??
A. didieri is among the worst scent of anything I've smelled.
That bad for me. lol

Bright light and lots of water go a long way. They do best mounted. You might also have to buy a few different plants to get one of the really vigorous ones.

What about winter? Do yours get a dry rest?

I just inherited one from a friend, who couldn’t get it to bloom. I repotted it into straight charcoal, in a clear pot with extra holes on the sides.

What about winter? Do yours get a dry rest?

I just inherited one from a friend, who couldn’t get it to bloom. I repotted it into straight charcoal, in a clear pot with extra holes on the sides.

I don't particularly give a dry rest. There appears to be two morphologically different types, and the type specimen looks much more compact (leaf length of around 1.5-2cm) like this one. I think mine is the bigger type. I think this species can be from SW or E. Madagascar. SW is pretty dry, and E. is wet. From my understanding from this thread, the type comes from dry SW. Mine is probably from wet Eastern forests. So I'm not giving any dry rest.

In Madagascar, climatic zones run East-West (link to Wikipedia).
1920px-Madagascar_map_of_K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification.svg.png

Madagascar map of Köppen climate classification by Ali Zifan, released under CC-BY-SA 4.0

Latest posts

Back