And another newbie

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kellyincville

Hi guys,

I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I've been growing orchids for several years and have started saving some $$ for a greenhouse.

I'm a multi and species nut. Parishii in particular make me swoon.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,
Welcome, finally! So sorry for the delay, I've no idea why the forum does that but sometimes it takes a few days to generate the initial registration email. Will look into it this weekend, we have a few errors going on that I'm hoping to investigate and it could be that this is one of them.

At any rate, glad you made it!

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

I am an experienced besseae murderer Eric. It's been about four so far. Definitely the most difficult species for me. I just bought two more and am trying them in bark (vs. sphag) with zero fertilizer (I think I'm over fertilizing). Crossing my fingers!

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

I am an experienced besseae murderer Eric. It's been about four so far. Definitely the most difficult species for me. I just bought two more and am trying them in bark (vs. sphag) with zero fertilizer (I think I'm over fertilizing). Crossing my fingers!

Bark - good...no fertilizer whatsoever? I would take issue with that....other opinions? Maybe weaker or less frequent but none? Asking for trouble...(growing in sphag. asking for trouble too...) Lots of extremes here...

Just my 2cents!

...no fertilizer whatsoever?

I talked with a well known slipper vendor who I had purchased a couple phrags from and described how the plants were declining. He said that in almost all the cases like the one I described the plants were suffering due to overfertilization.

I'm going to try to cut it out entirely and see if they improve (or at least stop declining). If/when they turn around, I'll try to fertilize again at much lower levels.

However, opinions are always appreciated ;)

Scanning the forum it seems you are quite a phrag person Eric. Can I pick your brain for a moment? Do you put them in trays of water?

Besseae used to be very difficult...now, after lots of breeding, its reasonably easy. Maybe not as easy as the besseae hybrids, but still doable. Definitely pot them in bark....with LOTS of perlite and a little sphagnum. Yes, keep them wet...sitting in water is fine. They do not need as much sun as other paphs, and can do well in cool temperatures....easy under lights. And, yes, fertilize! Not too much, and not too often...I use MSU fertilizer at 1/2 tspn/gal, once/week (every 2-3 weeks for those not under lights in the winter). Considering that they can be watered several times a week, that's not much fertilizer.

Latest posts

Back