An update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
Since I last posted a few pictures on my fledgling lab, things are starting to move along nicely.

Some are getting near needing to be deflasked;

and the shelves are starting to fill up,

with some interesting things
(stonei album sib)

(volonteanum x wilhelminae)

:clap::clap:

How much beer or wine does it take to run this lab Gary:wink:

More seriously. Have you had any fungal/bacteria problems with your flasks?

AN ORCHID BANK, HOLY SMOKES!!! Thats yours, Filled with flasks? you are an asset to the orchid community!!! Thank you!!!! At first I thought it was pics posted of hangduan biotech

Thanks all. I have to be honest that quite a lot of beer and wine has been consumed in this lab over the last months.
In the beginning I got quite a bit of contamination. The contamination was from two main sources. Firstly the medium was not always correctly sterilized, or contamination occurred at the time of pouring the flasks. I need a proper autoclave for the medium, but don't have the spare cash to buy one at the moment, so the pressure cooker will have to carry on working for the time being. I solved this first contamination problem by allowing the flasks to stand for two weeks before using them. I am able to reject the contaminated flasks now prior to inoculating them. The second source was from the flasks drawing contaminants into themselves. (Distinct from contamination at time of inoculation by being a much longer time interval) the day/night temp changes cause the flasks to 'breath' and so draw in contaminants during this expansion contraction process. The problem lies in the use of rigid flasks. This has been dramatically reduced by wrapping in cling film, something I did not do in the beginning (also slows the drying of the flasks)
I now have a wide range of species busy germinating, also some interesting hybrids. At long last, about a year down the road, I am confident that I have the process under control. My biggest problem is the availability of good seed. My own greenhouse can only generate a limited supply.
I am sorry, I don't have a picture of the stonei parents, as I purchased the seed from an overseas supplier (the only seed I have purchased to date, but stonei 'album' was hard to turn down! Let's just hope that it is true)

You can help with the contaminants being pulled by stopper also by using cork with hole and stuffing hole with polypropylene batting or air breathable tape over it
This lets gas exchange co2 etc through but too small for contaminants
Lets more co2 through better growth usually but may let media dry more

Thanks guys! I have tried a variety of stoppers, breathers etc, but within the scope of where I am at, I have not found a current viable alternative without changing the whole process.
I have found that with the current rigid flasks and a cling film wrap, that my contamination remains below 2%. That level of contamination is fine for my current requirements. What I do to improve chances is to do three separate flashings. The first is performed with a standard chlorox sterilization of the seed onto two different media. The second flasking is done on day 5 with a presoak of some seed with sugar and the other seed to a 5 minute longer sterilization on standard processes. I only proceed to the third stage if the previous two flasking shave met with contamination. At this stage I try and isolate the contaminant and include an anti fungal agent to cover the contaminant as part of the culture medium and repeat the second flasking process.
I am trying hard, and suspect that in time I will toss problematic seed without going through the whole process, but at the moment it is all about learning how to deal with as much as possible, perhaps in the future I will gave the good fortune to handle something rare and worth the extra effort.

Latest posts

Back