An out of season lueddemanniana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This plant came to me as freebie about four years ago and is now probably my favourite plant.
As the plant gains in size and strength the flowers are getting significantly bigger. This year there are four large blooms each just over 6 inches (17cm) across and 7 inches high. There is also a wonderful scent. This species seems to have the best scent of any of the large unifoliate types.

12CF4601-ED2B-4C74-A052-E0942009F442 by john quaife, on Flickr

3416031C-D104-4D18-9C16-15688235FF90 by john quaife, on Flickr

81704667-A3F6-4D4E-9EE4-7F12746CEABC by john quaife, on Flickr

The odd thing about this plant is it’s growth habit. According to the books this species starts to grow in late winter, flowers in spring and then that is it for the rest of the year. Not this plant. No growth is visible until well into spring then it grows and flowers in September. It has done this for the last four years. Anyone know if this is typical of some lueddemanniana clones? It certainly seems to be stable for this plant.
Anyway from the perspective of a Northern European windowsill grower with less than ideal Cattleya conditions it is probably a better option. The plant is now growing during a warmer and brighter time of year and it is much easier to add size to the plant,

Regards,

David

Is it out of season? Mine are currently starting blooming again, think they bloom in summer as well, at least I found one picture from June?

blooming time

Bjorn,

I think it is still very late.
I had a conversation with a very well known breeder and he suggested that this is due to artificial lighting messing with the plant's photoperiodic response.
This is very likely. I have a couple of trianaei clones that never grown in season. Labiata and mossiae however are fine.
What is does mean is that because the plant grows at a much 'better' time of year for growth when light and temperatures are better I see huge bulbs develop.
Most lueddemanniana bulbs I see are like pencils, quite thin.
This plant is now producing bulbs that are getting on for an inch thick in the middle, they must be at least 5 x the volume of the older bulbs produced before I bought the plant.
Anyway whatever the reason, I'm very pleased with the plant and now have several more clones on which to experiment!

Regards

David

My luedde has the same growth cycle as yours. It gets some 4 hrs. of artificial light in winter but temps are rather cool in my GH.
Wish it would perform as well as yours. Very nice flowers, congrats!

culture

Linus,
the plant is quite short - maybe about a foot high or just over. of course with the flowers that adds a bit.
Carsten - I don't do anything special to the plant, just keep it on a south facing windowsill in winter. It is watered with Akerne's rain mix year round.

David

Feed

Eric,
I have no idea. Never checked. Catts get watered with rain water plus rain mix about once a week year round. Maybe less in winter. Plants are all growing in orchiata compost.
David

Latest posts

Back