An intergeneric of some sort

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Elena

This one has no label and I really don't know anything about the intergenerics to even start guessing what it might be. Technically it's OH's plant because he bought it but I have to look after it.

Anyway, the first flower opened today, there are 9 more buds to go. Interestingly enough, on last blooming the flowers were a lot more orange rather than dark red.

InterNOID2-1.jpg

um, the colour reminds me of Colmanara Wildcat... but the shape is more to odontoglossum or odontioda... Maybe that's the cross? (Colmanara x odontoglossum)..? (",)

There are sooo many Wildcat clones, it might be hard to ID if it is. My first thought was odontoglossum or odontioda too! It's very nice!

It's most likely something like a Wilsonara which is Cochlioda x Odontoglossum x Oncidium. The lip indicates that something like Onc tigrinum in the background.

Thanks guys!

This is what it looked like last summer. Wonder what caused the darker colour

OdontNOID.jpg

The recent photo shows the lip to be close to one of those colmanara Wild Cat.
But the one from last year makes me think that it could be one of those Vuylstekeara, or Wilsonara etc.. It is very hard to match back this kind of oncidium intergeneric to a clone or hybrid registered.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm not that fussed about knowing what it is. I'm fairly ambivalent about intergenerics and it grows happily even without a name ;) Plus it'll probably go to live with mother in law soon anyway because the space is becoming a problem.

Someone suggested that the change in oclour could be to do with the temperature which would make sense because I kept it in an unheated bedroom until recently.

I don't think its a Wildcat at all...I have a few and none have that overall shape. Looks like an Odontioda or Odontoglossum to me. The lip does not seem oversized enough to be Onc. tigrinum in the background, but who knows?

Color on these Ondontoglossum hybrids seem to be teperature dependent. They bloom darker with cooler weather. Sometimes the flower is even fuller in cooler weather.

Lovey:clap: My guess would be Odontonia

Thanks guys!

This is what it looked like last summer. Wonder what caused the darker colour

OdontNOID.jpg

Back