Amorphophallus titanium aka Corpse flower

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eOrchids

Reaction score
Hey all,
To those that live in the tri state area (PA, NJ, NY), the New York Botanical Garden has a Amorphophallus titanium set to open.

It should be worth checking out since the last time it bloomed was in 1939.

Hey all,
To those that live in the tri state area (PA, NJ, NY), the New York Botanical Garden has a Amorphophallus titanium set to open.

It should be worth checking out since the last time it bloomed was in 1939.

It normally takes that long between blooms???

I saw a photo on the internet and that's about as close as
I want to get. It's an interesting plant and quite ancient
as I understand it. I hope someone takes some pollen
samples and runs some tests on it.

It is the size of the plant that makes it a somewhat rare occasion to see one bloom, since few facilities outside the tropics can easily accommodate the 100 pound corm and single leaf per year that is the size of a small shade tree, and the largest unbranched inflorescence of any plant known. A young plant is fairly easily grown to blooming size in 10 years, maybe less, and will bloom every 2-10 years after that. Well worth seeing, and smelling, at least once.

there is another that just bloomed at Indiana University's campus in Bloomington....I saw it and it was incredible! Fortunately, the smell had mostly dissipated but the flower was still in great shape.

It's an amazing, creepy, otherwordly flower...

David

It is the size of the plant that makes it a somewhat rare occasion to see one bloom, since few facilities outside the tropics can easily accommodate the 100 pound corm and single leaf per year that is the size of a small shade tree, and the largest unbranched inflorescence of any plant known. A young plant is fairly easily grown to blooming size in 10 years, maybe less, and will bloom every 2-10 years after that. Well worth seeing, and smelling, at least once.

what he said!
it strikes me as so weird that the flower only lasts in good condition for two or three days

Back