Amorphophallus titan...(warning, many photos)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
an oral surgeon in or around Laconia, New Hampshire has a greenhouse and had one of these bloom. it was at a fire station as a fundraiser...

Tillyfullfront.jpg
Tillymid.jpg
TillySpadixtop.jpg
Tillyalmostinside.jpg

this one shows the hole they cut to pollinate it and the flowers inside...
Tillyflowers.jpg

Tilly-n-Me.jpg

the flower was 81 inches tall and kinda stinky. it had been in its full glory a day or so before i got there....

Really nice pics!

...can you imagine the ones at Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew? One of theirs is about 8ft tall in bloom! These things in person are really interesting, especially the inconcievable stench which makes you gag...

Any idea who the donor pollen for that Amorpho. titanum is? This species was lost for quite a long while, and was rediscovered by none other than Lance Birk... =)

-Pat

(BTW, the generic name translates out to; 'Mishapen Penis'... a little etymology there...)

Mahon said:
Really nice pics!

...can you imagine the ones at Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew? One of theirs is about 8ft tall in bloom! These things in person are really interesting, especially the inconcievable stench which makes you gag...

Any idea who the donor pollen for that Amorpho. titanum is? This species was lost for quite a long while, and was rediscovered by none other than Lance Birk... =)

-Pat

(BTW, the generic name translates out to; 'Mishapen Penis'... a little etymology there...)

There were 4 other blooms this month. Maybe they swapped pollen? Is this species an obligate outcrosser though? Quite a few arums successfully self.

I wasn't sure if they can outcross it... I would kinda hope so, as maybe it will get different and possibly better variations of Amorpho. titanum...

-PM

i hope they swapped pollen. everything i've read suggests it is an obligate outcrosser (thanks for teaching me a new term...)

Latest posts

Back