Amorphophallus konjac... or i'm just happy to see you.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
so i've got this Amorphophallus konjac that i got from a friend of my mom's and it'd been growing until earlier this month when the leaf started to die off, prematurely, in my opinion. it took me a while to notice why but i've been seeing this. it's been growing four to six inches a day! i've heard that the inflorescence will be five to seven feet tall when it blooms and will stink! yippee!
of course, the university where i work is closed for the christmas break so i'll be one of the few to see it.....
i've tried to put these in order from thursday to today. each piece of yellow tape on the bamboo is one foot (about 30.5 cm)...

akthurs.jpg

akfrimorn1.jpg

akfrimorn.jpg

akfriafter.jpg

akfrimornclose.jpg

aksatmorn.jpg

aksatmornflower.jpg

I think that after it opens you should set up a video camera and bring people in-not telling them about it. See how many folks check the bottom of their shoes or make faces.

neato! a guy from the a.v. department is setting up a time-lapse camera and light! i think it only grows overnight...

Wow! I have a konjac growing in my backyard. Comes up every year, but no blooms.......well, there's always next year................Take care, Eric

okay, so to continue with this thing. the inflorescence didn't seem to grow last night, i don't know if it was because there was a bright light for the camera on it all night. the spadix turned kinda blood red overnight...

the whole thing:
akinflorsun.jpg

it kinda looks like it's starting to open...
akflowerin.jpg

this is the most accurate color representation i could get
akflowercolorclose.jpg

akflowercolor.jpg

akflower.jpg

here we go again...

it grew several inches last night.
akinflormond.jpg

closeup of where the spadix emerges from the spathe
akspathespadix.jpg

closeup of what might be pollen...
akinflorclosepollen.jpg

tried this close to get the color.
akinflorclose1.jpg

All the Asian jelly candies I like are made from this plant..............Eric

This is going to be in my yard someday? And yes, Eric,.....all those jelly cups in the Asian markets say "konjac jelly"....and this is the konjac! Eric

Latest posts

Back