Amorphophallus konjac in bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikefallen13

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Just wanted to share this since it finally opened after slowly growing for about a month. The inflorescence was 26" tall when fully open, beating last years flower by almost 2 inches. Though amazing, I definitely don't recommend this plant for anyone with a weak stomach because it filled the whole room with the smell of rotting flesh. Nevertheless, it's a very cool plant that I really enjoy growing.

@Linus_Cello: To be completely honest, nothing. I grow it outside all summer then when the leaf fades (usually late summer) I bring it inside and put it in the basement. I don't water until I see the start of the inflorescence break the surface, usually in February or March, and it is brought upstairs and put in a south facing window. I repot every year after the flower fades with normal potting soil.

I'm not too sure what actually triggers flowering, but mine has been consistently on this 'schedule' for the last three years. Hope that helps!

@mrhappyrotter: thanks!

I just saw the giant one (can't remember the species name) when I was visiting a greenhouse in Charlotte - this genus is cool! Thanks for posting!

David

I have them popping up in my greenhouse, kindof ambush.:evil: sudenly the smell is there, and hidden behond something, yes there it is:eek:
Luckily the putrid stench lasts only a few days:rollhappy: in pots, I have no success, only produces bulbs the size of a childs head.:sob:

Neat-O!

Does anyone else watch Scorpion on TV? The opening scene last week was of the main character, Walter, taking his date (who already thinks he is nuts) to see the opening of an A. titans. It was kind of awesome. :)

That's a great idea for a date. Need to weed out anyone who can't enjoy that.

Is this a miniature version of the famous penis plant??

I don't see any link to penus. Maybe people like to imagine too much. lol
These definitely look odd and smell horrible.

Latest posts

Back