Amazonica vs pearcei or equadorensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
This is my P.amazonica (richteri). A couple of years ago I posted pics of this plant, and the consensus was that it was actually a big pearcei. I had been growing it in bright light (Catt level) and each growth became progressively smaller until I became concerned about loosing it since it looked so pathetic. Within a year of growing it in low light (phal level) the growths are huge compared to either of my pearcei (or var equadorensis). Also the older of the 2 spikes has been branching, which Olaf says is a definitive identifier of this species.

In this last pic I'm holding up an pearcei/equadorensis flower (tryed to get it in the same plane for size comparison). It's almost the same size as the amazonica flowers, but the spikes are nowhere near as floriforous as the amazonica.

Does your amazonica grow v e r y s l o w l y? I have had one for 2 years and it hasn't changed much. I will try placing it under less light and see what happens.

Does your amazonica grow v e r y s l o w l y? I have had one for 2 years and it hasn't changed much. I will try placing it under less light and see what happens.

It was slow and stunted under conditions that were great for my Paph exul and Paph rothchildianum. But in darker phal like conditions it grows very fast. In the top picture most of those growths started and matured in about a year. The leaf span is over 20" now. Its also kept in a tray of water for constant wet feet.

I have a friend nearby that has had a similar experience. His amazonica was huge (and a regular bloomer) when in the phal part of his greenhouse. He moved to to a brighter side with Catts, and its been the amazing shrinking plant since.

Latest posts

Back