Am I giving my roth too much light or not

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paphiolitho88

Reaction score
Since the sun is shining more and more here, the 4/5 lower leaves turned more yellowish (the lowest one is dying off, I think because the new leave is coming up) Only the upper 3 are more green. The new leaf is growing fast and the roots are doing great so I think there is no real other problem. But I thought it could not be wrong to ask, so just for sure :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14737...TmS-LEGQ8t-Wcxm2Z-bg76xD-7MakaP-akcRvG-akcPLd

Gr. Jöran

Unless it's direct over head summer sunlight , you cant give a roth too much light (if you give it plenty of water)..roths like a lot of water with an open mix..they never like to dry out on a consistent basis, if the roots are doing 'great' sometimes this is a sign of them being thirsty and putting more of its energy into root production.."great' is very subjective...my guess is that you are letting it dry out too much, which, by the yellowing pattern on the plant, seems to indicate ..which I find is the number one failure of people growing roths or most multiflorals (it was for me for a long time)

Your mix looks like straight up medium to large chunks of bark...hard to tell exactly though...I have found that adding 1/3 rockwool to the mix helps with water retention while soaking up extra water that may cause rot and since you dont seem to provide added humidity , you need as much water at your roots as possible without causing rot

Thanks for the fast reaction! I am using a mix of large and medium bark, perlite and sphagnum but on the top there are mostly large chunks of bark. I am keeping him quite moist (I never let him dry out). Sorry! Should have told that together with my question. Maybe it has something to do with my humidity... that is not the highest in my home. Mostly around 50 %.

maybe a nutrient thing then..when was the last time you repotted? sometimes repotting can prematurely yellow older leaves

that's probably the culprit, it had to adjust to a shock to its system and stressed the plant out ..but the plant will be okay

this is why i dont use media that breaks down as fast anymore..I only use perlite and rockwool

It looks ok. It is normal for the old leaves to die back. Keep giving it lots of water. What are you feeding it? 30-10-10 with ammonium nitrate is good to keep them green. You could also give it some epsom salts.

In spring I have given it 10-52-10 2 or 3 times. Now I am giving all my paphs akerne rainmix.

More like nutrient deficiency to me. I would place the plant in a shadier spot and work on bringing back the green color. Try alternating a 30-10-10, arkene and kelpmax for micronutrients in light dosage for the inorganic and half recommended dosage for KelpMax. Green color should start from top to bottom if you are lucky. Good luck and share to us what ever you did.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back