Al's Orchid Exchange visit

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
in Leesburg, Va. A few days ago I went to visit some relatives in Maryland near D.C., and decided to stop in at Als Orchid Greenhouse. I used to live in Leesburg back in late '90's but didn't know about his greenhouse before I moved back to upstate ny so never got to visit. I've purchased lots of plants from him that have been excellent. I saw some pretty cool things so thought to take some pics and share them with you. I was using iphone and it was very cloudy and dark, and his greenhouse looks just like a rainforest with lots of other non-orchids around as well.

als115a.JPG

in the middle of the greenhouse, Al has this living wall and enclosure which
has circulating water and misters. there were several orchids in the mix of
plants but too difficult to get good pics of them

als115b.JPG

amazing!

als115c.JPG

here was a totally unexpected sight - mexipedium xerophyticum growing
on a huge slab of thick tree fern! it was in a damp and shady spot (like
most of everything) and had 36 mature growths and around 16 new shoots.
there was a thick layer of moss over the top and it looked pretty happy for
the most part

als111d.JPG

one of the larger phal giganteas in flower

als115e.JPG

this mass of roots is 'one' phal wilsonii plant (or one of the
other chinese type phals. I searched the mount and it indeed
was just one plant!

als115f.JPG

phaiocalanthe hybrid

als115g.JPG

cool bulbo with tiny yellow flowers
cirrhopetalum auratum 'Other World' CHM/AOS

als115h.JPG

catt hybrid very nice didn't record name, excellent fragrance

als115i.JPG

aerangis luteo-alba v. rhodosticta with really fat flowers

als115j.JPG

trichoglottis pusilla which had an amazingly strong fragrance
for such a small plant/flower

als115k.JPG

on one high bench there were around 7 bonsai

als115l.JPG

als115m.JPG

a dend. hybrid with some cuthbertsonii and laevifolium albas, possibly den. Illusion

als115n.JPG

collection of paph hybrids, paph Hsinying Majakun '#7' x paph Hsinying Calsow '#1'

als115o.JPG

really cool tropical pitcher plant, didn't record name

I left after looking everything over three or four times with a compot of two phal cochlearis, a nicely sized phal maculata (there were compots also) and a seedling phal philippinense with a tiny flower spike that may likely blast. There were lots of things I also would have loved to take home, but needed to keep some for the Woodstream open house and the NJOS show in a few weeks

Wonderful pics! I had heard of Al's and never ordered. But Inci gave me some Catts this summer that came from Al's and now I am hooked! I've ordered about three times and can hardly wait for spring.

Wonderful pics! I had heard of Al's and never ordered. But Inci gave me some Catts this summer that came from Al's and now I am hooked! I've ordered about three times and can hardly wait for spring.

there were a few pots of a peach colored catt hybrid that I really wanted to take home, and while I was looking at everything else someone agreed with me as I saw them carrying one to the cash register :) . it was too big for my new space and there were somewhat rare or unavailable phal species that would go home first ;)

he also had a nice collection of neofinetia falcata clones for sale, nicely potted in the japanese style

Back