All members please read - forum update discussion.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

mormodes

Reaction score
If anyone would like to see what the most current forum software looks like straight out of the box, you can visit the vbulletin forum.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php

We would of course have to research templates, to find one that was easy on the eyes and not cluttered with the blog/chat stuff.

Ick. Well that's really ugly. And since I only use 'Today's Posts' that section is very small in terms of teh whole template page layout. But I'm not the administrator. I mean. if it makes your life easier or offers some sort of bell or whistle that makes you want to cheer I'd say upgrade. Make yourself happy the rest of us will deal.

B

biothanasis

Well an update would be kind of refreshing... If Admins are available to give their time and effort, then we should go for it. (a BIG thank you here... :)). But there should be some things that should be taken into consideration that the previous members have talked about (simplicity, absence of ads, better search engine, easy to use interface, no loss of data etc etc...).

ohio-guy

Reaction score
I say go for it; and thanks for taking the lead, and offering to put in the time. And like most others, I like the familiar and easy format we have, so maintaining it would be appreciated.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't make the search more complicated with that stupid feature that makes you copy distorted letters before it will work. That seems to be a very popular security feature, it is too annoying and slow to use.
I thinks those "captcha" features are great to help block spam-bots from registering (which would be a great help to the mods keeping this place clean), but once you've successfully registered, there really isn't a need for one.

Heather

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Pretty sure we already have a captcha for registering. Doesn't help at all with the spammers registering. :rollhappy:

Guys, honestly, please don't be so concerned with us adding annoying features. If we haven't added them in five years, it is obviously not a concern. Then forum looks the way it does today for a reason. Bells and whistles aren't it.

gonewild

Grower
Reaction score
Guys, honestly, please don't be so concerned with us adding annoying features. If we haven't added them in five years, it is obviously not a concern. Then forum looks the way it does today for a reason. Bells and whistles aren't it.

Oh yeah the country kids don't eat candy much. But when the get to town and into the candy store they want one of each?
:rollhappy:

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. That was funny. :rollhappy:

I don't understand the fear of us suddenly adding ads, a thousand pop-ups and blinking hot pink backgrounds. We have no intention of turning this board into a circus. In fact, my mission is to find a way to upgrade to a more stable back end, while keeping the front end looking as close to the same as possible. Black font on white pages with no in-your-face graphics is what we have always used here, and ever shall it be.

I think we now have an understanding of what needs to happen. I'll keep you updated once I know more how it might all work.

W. Beetus

Reaction score
If anyone would like to see what the most current forum software looks like straight out of the box, you can visit the vbulletin forum.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php

We would of course have to research templates, to find one that was easy on the eyes and not cluttered with the blog/chat stuff.

I'm all for updating the software, but I really like how the current layout looks versus what is seen above. I find what is seen on the vbulletin forum a bit painful on the eyes...

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
This all stems from several factors.

1. The software company stopped supporting the version of Vbulletin we are running more than a year ago. If we have problems from here on out, we are going to be told, "sorry, you should have upgraded to 4.0 or better."

2. Several members have noticed that IE9 has problems accessing parts of the board. IE9 is a total piece of junk, but that isn't the core of the problem. As new browsers are developed, and search engines change the way they rank our site, we are going to be left behind. It is entirely possible that with a couple more generations of updates to search engines and web browsers, some of you may not be able to access the forum as it is running today.

3. Spammers are constantly altering their attacks on forums across the web. As they figure out new ways to get in, Vbulletin is releasing security patches to fix those holes. We are not able to download those security patches any more, since they don't support this version of the software we are running. Not only will the current problem we have with spammers become worse, they could possibly crash the board entirely.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
Let me try and clear up a few things that some of you may be thinking.

There will never be any ads on Slippertalk while Heather and I are alive and kicking. Yes, the revenue generated from them could pay for Slippertalk, plus some. However, you guys do a great job supporting this site with the auction, and ads are extremely annoying, so they are not even on the table for discussion.

There will be no major changes to the color scheme or layout of the forum. If we do upgrade, I will search for a template that closely mirrors the look of our current forum. Small changes may happen, such as a link moving from one side of the page to another, but the forum will still work as it currently does. If I can't find a template that is close enough, we won't upgrade.

The addition of a ton of new features is not something any of you should be concerned about. There are a thousand whiz-bang add-ons we could have installed from day one on this forum, but we didn't. In the future, if we decide it would be worthwhile to offer extra features, such as a mobile version of the forum, we will do so, but only if it doesn't change the way the forum works for non-mobile users. If an annoying extra feature can't be turned off in an upgraded version of the forum, we won't upgrade.

If the upgrade is possible, there will be a chance for everyone to see the new look before anything is finalized. However, I expect some of you aren't going to like any amount of change, even if the forum looks 90% similar to the current design. You can't please all of the people, all of the time. Just keep an open mind, and don't freak out prematurely (or at all really).

Heather and I have not, at this point, discussed anything about the upgrade. We are still reading, and researching the possibility.

M

Marc

This all stems from several factors.

1. The software company stopped supporting the version of Vbulletin we are running more than a year ago. If we have problems from here on out, we are going to be told, "sorry, you should have upgraded to 4.0 or better."

2. Several members have noticed that IE9 has problems accessing parts of the board. IE9 is a total piece of junk, but that isn't the core of the problem. As new browsers are developed, and search engines change the way they rank our site, we are going to be left behind. It is entirely possible that with a couple more generations of updates to search engines and web browsers, some of you may not be able to access the forum as it is running today.

3. Spammers are constantly altering their attacks on forums across the web. As they figure out new ways to get in, Vbulletin is releasing security patches to fix those holes. We are not able to download those security patches any more, since they don't support this version of the software we are running. Not only will the current problem we have with spammers become worse, they could possibly crash the board entirely.

As I consider each and every one of the points above a valid reason on it it's own, there is only on thing to say.

Make it happen sir!

H

Hera

See, this is exactly the kind of post where I would have simply clicked the "Thank" button, instead of posting!!! :D

Don't take offense, but I think the "Thank" buttons are kind of a popularity contest. I like the simple format of this forum better. If something is worth saying, it is said. That's how we have some very interesting and even heated discussions. Long had is worth it.

gonewild

Grower
Reaction score
Don't take offense, but I think the "Thank" buttons are kind of a popularity contest. I like the simple format of this forum better. If something is worth saying, it is said. That's how we have some very interesting and even heated discussions. Long had is worth it.

If we had a "thumbs up" button I'd click it on you. But since it's worth saying I'll write it out...... I agree!