All members please read - forum update discussion.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

emydura

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with upgrading. It is a necessary evil. While you don't want to make changes for changes sake, I'm comfortable with adding new features (if applicable) which improve the forum. Just don't make it as bad as MS Office 2007. It used to be so simple to do EXCEL graphs. :)

David

li'l frog

Reaction score
Remember that not everyone on the foum is a techno geek. I got my firt computer in 2000, my second in 2009, and had my personal geek reload Windows XP over Vista. My computer knowledge and skills are very much tunnel vision -- what I need to know to function in my world. If the forum got too flashy and techy, you might loose those of us who still cherish a simple life.

li'lfrog

Shiva

Reaction score
Go for it! Upgrade! Having been with Windows or PC DOS since 1981, i'm well used with upgrades. Damn! I would upgrade my own body if I could.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Don't lose the database of excellent info currently here. it is way too valuable of a resource.

2) Do what's going to be easiest for you - Heather and Jon - to deal with long-term. We can adapt.

Candace

Reaction score
I think looking into and researching the upgrade is a must and see where it goes. I'm not a fan of big changes, but I would love an upgrade to our spam filters. I know Heather and I spend an ungodly amount of time dealing with this.

M

Marc

If it's possible to update the forum without damage to the database I'm all for it.

Of course the security of the forum should increase with this update.
And I think most of us will addapt fast to a change of the layout. I like the clean crisp one we have currently. :)

gonewild

Grower
Reaction score
Please don't make the search more complicated with that stupid feature that makes you copy distorted letters before it will work. That seems to be a very popular security feature, it is too annoying and slow to use.

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I agree with Lance: no copying of distorted letters. I hate that! I never get them right! :rollhappy:

My own preferences would be to make a very carefully planned upgrade as you've said it would be. Keep it simple in function and appearance. Less clutter and less gizmos are easier on the eyes and the patience. Preserve the old posts.

Most of us (but not all) probably resent change to some degree, but as long as we understand the need for it and it's not too drastic or unpleasant, most of us should be able to adjust quite nicely to it.

I like this forum. That's saying a LOT coming from me! :eek: I can be a bit of an obnoxious donkey, but you've tolerated me in spite of myself. Lately I've made some changes in the way I conduct myself -- improvements I hope -- and I plan on sticking around here as long as I can keep sticking to this planet.

I hope you'll be able to preserve the spirit, integrity and purpose of the forum whilst updating it enough to keep it in stride with the demands of current and future technologies.

Good luck! :)

E

Ernie

Please don't make the search more complicated with that stupid feature that makes you copy distorted letters before it will work. That seems to be a very popular security feature, it is too annoying and slow to use.

Oh, i HATE those too!

K

koshki

I'm new, like the forum, echo what others have said...keep the old when you go to the new.

I do participate in another (general) orchid forum that also uses vbulletin. One feature I really like there is the ability to "thank" posters by clicking a button on their post. That way you can express your appreciation, even if you don't have anything to say in the thread.

Oh, and when you hover over thumbnail images, they automatically open. Nice feature, too.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
One hope for the upgrade: make the search engine better. Sometimes I try to go back to an old thread, type in the key word but it says "not found". I know it is there somewhere!

One question. With older computers, most newer software does not work. Will older computers have a problem with the upgrade?

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
I don't think there is a good way to say for sure how older computers will react to the new forum, but I am not saying they will have any problems. How old are we talking about? Is the software on this older machine being kept up to date? There are a lot of variables to consider with a question like that. I don't expect many problems to arise with the upgrade, except for those running Internet Explorer 9. Apparently, that new browser is so full of bugs that it doesn't run well on any vbulletin forum, old or new. I suggest anyone using IE9 should download a free web browser of another type like Google Chrome.

There are a lot of good suggestions here. I think we understand full well what people want to keep from the old look, and keep away from with a new look.

The research phase is still ongoing. There are a lot of vbulletin forums out there that are not upgrading to version 4.0, and I think it's necessary to understand what their reasons are for not upgrading.

It seems that the current suggested method for upgrading, is to set up a test forum, where the new software can be installed and tweaked until it's ready. Then a copy of the database is moved into that test site to see if everything transfers. I think this is how we would approach it.

I will be discussing this in depth with Heather, and when we have a better idea of a timetable, we will post it so people aren't left wondering.

Latest posts