All Around Medium for Paphs?

Discussion in 'Slipper Orchid Culture' started by Cklinger, Feb 26, 2019.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Mar 6, 2019 #41

Cklinger

Cklinger

Cklinger

No problem!

2. Mar 6, 2019 #42

Cklinger

Cklinger

Cklinger

Good to hear! And yeah although the terrarium is set up, I check almost everyday to make sure the plants don't stay too moist for long periods of time.

3. Mar 6, 2019 #43

Cklinger

Cklinger

Cklinger

I am curious, since I am having a hard time finding medium sized perlite, if it would be fine to use charcoal instead? I would think so because it would prevent compaction while also filtering the water of impurities.

4. Mar 7, 2019 #44

Junglejewel

Junglejewel

Junglejewel

I got my medium #3 perlite on eBay from BayHydro. Great company and great product!

5. Mar 7, 2019 #45

Cklinger

Cklinger

Cklinger

Thanks so much! I literally just ordered some after I read your post haha

Junglejewel likes this.
  6. Mar 20, 2019 #46

xiphius

xiphius

xiphius

Interesting. This mix looks very similar to Hausermann's "seedling orchid mix" (minus the crushed oyster shell, it looks basically identical). When I lived near Chicago, I used to buy this in bulk and use it for all of my Paphs. Worked great for me as an "all around" medium. I actually used to add in crushed oyster shell myself for calcicolous Paphs.

7. Mar 23, 2019 #47

masaccio

masaccio

masaccio

I've always wondered how people do this. Did you buy it crushed? Did you crush it yourself? Have also read that seashells also work. The Quarter Acre mix looks good, but it's expensive. Is it overkill anyway, using a Cal-Mag fertilizing formula?

8. Mar 23, 2019 #48

tomkalina

tomkalina

tomkalina

Vendor

We've used Hausermann's seedling orchid mix for Paphs for many years right out of the bag. It's at least as good as any other mix we've tried, including Orchiata. For the larger Paphs, we use 50% Paph. seedling mix + 50% of their standard orchid mix which contains larger pieces of bark (Rexius - Heat Sterilized). For the calcium loving Paphs and Phrags, we add one cup of 100 mesh dolomite lime powder per bag.

9. Mar 23, 2019 #49

masaccio

masaccio

masaccio

Great. Looking at the Hausermann website, I see a paph/miltoniopsis mix but not a seedling mix per se. Same thing? Interesting that Hausermann doesn't list the contents of this paph/miltoniopsis mix. When you say you add a cup of the dolomite lime powder per bag, do you mean per "hobby bag"? Thanks!

10. Mar 23, 2019 #50

xiphius

xiphius

xiphius

You buy it crushed. It's super cheap. A 50 lb bag generally costs <$10 and will last you for years (unless you have an insanely big collection). You can find it at farm supply stores. They sell it for chickens (to ensure strong eggshells). I have heard of some people using seashells and crushing themselves, but it seems like a lot of work to save a very small amount of money. Plus, the stuff you buy has been heat treated and washed to remove impurities.

Yeah, it is pretty great (I'm actually still using it because I bought a couple big bags before I left and brought them with me, almost out though). Plus, I loved how cheap it was and that they could easily accommodate any quantity you needed (because they are such a huge operation, they always have a TON on hand). I really miss being nearby :(. Soon I shall have to figure out alternatives.

Is this coarser than regular dolomite lime? if so, where do you find it? I tried dolomite once, but it seems to just wash out the pot pretty quickly. The nice thing about oyster shell is that it seems to stick around.

Not sure, but probably. I know they grow pretty much all of their paphs in their seedling mix (at their greenhouse, it was just called their "seedling mix" - at least as of a couple years ago). Hausermann's isn't great about listing things on their website though. If you are in the neighborhood, I would just stop by in person and look. They always had a ton of paphs in their greenhouse that weren't listed online.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  11. Mar 24, 2019 #51

tomkalina

tomkalina

tomkalina

Vendor

The Paph/Miltoniopsis mix is the one I referred to as "seedling orchid mix". We add one cup dolomite lime powder to a 2 cu ft bag of mix. A hobby bag would take much less; perhaps a tablespoon.

12. Mar 24, 2019 #52

masaccio

masaccio

masaccio

Thanks for all the information! I have some of the mix on the way now. Yes, I noticed not a lot of information generally. Would love to visit them though. I probably will never be in the neighborhood, but it might be a fun bucket-list trip.

13. Mar 24, 2019 #53

masaccio

masaccio

masaccio

Thanks!