Algae over leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guarceñosis

Reaction score
I suffer a lot of this yellow algae over orchids leaves surface. Does any one has experience how to control it or erradicate it? Thanks.4a6a358fc594a9b870f351ac9f06a77a.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

algae on leaves is caused by excessive humidity or leaves not drying out fast enough mixed with too much shade...I live in the Northwest US , we all know too much about this, algae grows everywhere in the wintertime...more circulation of air could help ...more light ..anything so that it dries out faster

Perhaps a quarternary ammonium compound (like Physan) would work better - that is more likely to disrupt the algae cells, while having less effect on the orchid leaves' cuticle.

The Physan bottle claims that it is non-phytotoxic, which seems counter to claims of being an algicide, however.

From a google search for physan:
"Physan20 is a broad range disinfectant, fungicide, virucide, and algaecide which effectively controls a wide variety of pathogens on hard surfaces and plants"

Of course, I've seen marble being called organic, so go figure...

Thanks to all. I live in the tropic at 7200 ft asl. In rainy season the humididy can reach 96%, which can't control.

Perhaps a quarternary ammonium compound (like Physan) would work better - that is more likely to disrupt the algae cells, while having less effect on the orchid leaves' cuticle.

The Physan bottle claims that it is non-phytotoxic, which seems counter to claims of being an algicide, however.

From a google search for physan:
"Physan20 is a broad range disinfectant, fungicide, virucide, and algaecide which effectively controls a wide variety of pathogens on hard surfaces and plants"

Of course, I've seen marble being called organic, so go figure...
Any idea of the dosage? Tks.

Latest posts

Back