Albino Acaule

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEMO-Cypr

Reaction score
I recently purchased some seedlings from Spangle Creek Labs and I had 3 of 6 seedlings come up as Albinos! I’ve never seen this in Cyps before. I wish they were variegated so they would have a chance to survive, these are pretty awesome!! Really surprised and grateful to experience them. I wish they had more of a fungal association so they had a better chance since albinos have a low survival rate. Not to mention it’s an Albino Acaule, my chances are low.

What are all your thoughts? Maybe I’m wrong and they may color up? I’m doubtful as the others are normal. We’ll see how my mix does maybe I’ll be lucky and have a good fungal association. 2732EE1F-D410-4FB8-874D-0FDAD23DF6A9.jpeg3836248A-3994-4D51-B003-B816F741FCCA.jpeg15C38B0B-F950-4D63-995A-DC2159CA8587.jpegDF351DE5-B95B-4B97-847D-8D6FBD28FC1E.jpeg

Thanks! I checked on them today and still no color. I’ll have to try a pinch of Epson salts and fertilizer. Now why do you suggest urea fertilizer over nitrate? I normally fertilize with MSU, with my tropicals and put a little on my terrestrials and other natives rather than dumping.

Thanks! I checked on them today and still no color. I’ll have to try a pinch of Epson salts and fertilizer. Now why do you suggest urea fertilizer over nitrate? I normally fertilize with MSU, with my tropicals and put a little on my terrestrials and other natives rather than dumping.

Orchids can use nitrate-, ammonium-, and urea forms of nitrogen, but they are taken up differently.

Nitrates and ammonium ions are poorly absorbed through the foliar route, but well absorbed through the roots. By contrast, urea is preferentially absorbed through the leaves, but poorly through the roots. Most lawn and shrubbery “green up” products contain urea for that reason.

Orchids are notoriously poor at foliar uptake - especially those with thick, waxy cuticle layers, like mature paphs and phals - but as the cutex develops over time, newly emerging plants will be better at it.

Orchids can use nitrate-, ammonium-, and urea forms of nitrogen, but they are taken up differently.

Nitrates and ammonium ions are poorly absorbed through the foliar route, but well absorbed through the roots. By contrast, urea is preferentially absorbed through the leaves, but poorly through the roots. Most lawn and shrubbery “green up” products contain urea for that reason.

Orchids are notoriously poor at foliar uptake - especially those with thick, waxy cuticle layers, like mature paphs and phals - but as the cutex develops over time, newly emerging plants will be better at it.

Good to know thanks! I have in the past stayed away from foliar applications due to the risk of crown rot. But in the outdoor setting it shouldn’t be much of an issue with all the wind I usually have,

Back