Aircone pots and Phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNCollins

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to repot a couple of my Phrags that I have sitting in a saucer filled with a small amount of water. Does anyone do this with the Aircone pots? Right now the Aircone pots are what I have on hand, and I wanted to see if I could put off ordering new pots and supplies right now.

Thanks for your help.

Other than repotme and Kelley's Korner, where does everyone get their pots?

If you have any local orchid vendors in your area, they often carry supplies as well as plants. That's how I usually buy mine. You can find them cheaper online, but pots are inexpensive (relatively) as it is. Plus, it helps support the mom and pop grow operations AND gives me an excuse to stop by the greenhouse more frequently than I would otherwise.

For some reason, i dont have much luck with Aircone pots. Bottom stays too wet and the top dries easily. I think they're meant to hold some water at the bottom. Ive solved this by putting some perlite at the bottom.

I use both aircone pots and S/H style (soup quart pots from the Chinese restaurant with holes drilled in the sides). I use Aliflor in the bottom and mixed media above the water line. I have found recently that using S/H style pots with just Aliflor in the trays of flowing water is working well.

For some reason, i dont have much luck with Aircone pots. Bottom stays too wet and the top dries easily. I think they're meant to hold some water at the bottom. Ive solved this by putting some perlite at the bottom.

I'm with you. I am not a big fan of aircone. It's supposed to be more airy, but the design allows more water collected at the corners of the bottom of the pot. This is because the bottom center is elevated. It should be either flat or the slits or holes should be located on the corner for better drainage.

I only have one aircone, a gift from a vendor years ago, and I had no desire to buy any. :p

Other than repotme and Kelley's Korner, where does everyone get their pots?

Many vendors get the same stuff from whole sale dealers, so you will notice that same stuff will be available at different prices as you shop around, although of course different places will feature certain unique things that others do not have.

Look up Tindara orchid supply also.
They are not orchid specific but they do have lots of good stuff for orchid growing as well.

Last, you can use any pots with drainage holes for s/h or sitting pots and plants in water.

Many vendors get the same stuff from whole sale dealers, so you will notice that same stuff will be available at different prices as you shop around, although of course different places will feature certain unique things that others do not have.

Look up Tindara orchid supply also.
They are not orchid specific but they do have lots of good stuff for orchid growing as well.

Last, you can use any pots with drainage holes for s/h or sitting pots and plants in water.

Glad I'm not the only one! They're so pretty and pricey I wanted them to work! But alas plants I pot in it stall and don't grow roots at all.

Glad I'm not the only one! They're so pretty and pricey I wanted them to work! But alas plants I pot in it stall and don't grow roots at all.

Well, I have Paph. Hsinying Delight ( Stone Lovely x spicerianum) in the aircone pot which grows like a weed, but not because of the pot but the plant is a weed in any setting I found. lol

That's the only aircone pot I have and I do spend extra minutes to completely drain the water every time I water it.
Imagine I had many plants in this pot and all the extra time spent above what I already spend on watering. Oh, no. No~~~ :p

That is the idea of those pots, but I doubt they allow any more air flow than other types of pots.

Especially people like me who place the pots on the saucer of some sort because I don't have a greenhouse where I could place all the pots on the bench without pots sitting in saucers, the "air cone" part of the pot is really pretty much blocked by the saucer only leaving those narrow slits on the pots.

Pots with larger drainage holes that come slightly up on the side of the pots probably allow much better air flow.
For pots sitting in the bench without saucers, I think the pots with the mesh bottom probably lets the maximum air flow.

EBay and Amazon has Aircone pots.

If you want to bulk up try Chula Orchids:
http://www.chulaorchids.com/html/clear_pots.html#Rand_Air_Cone_Pots

First Rays also sells these pots:
http://www.firstrays.com/cart/Horticultural-Containers/Air-Cone-Flower-Pots

I am on the fence regarding the use of these pots because of its supposed ability to provide more air to the root mass. So I'm hedging by putting a net pot on top of the central core to see if that will further increase air penetration.

That said, I do like these pots for stability and durability. The walls are thick and having four corners makes them difficult to tip over.

Uh,,,,it does not provide more air, which is the problem.
I also like how rigid it is, though.

I wish they made holes on the corner for better drainage.
Well, there are better pots to choose from. :)

Thanks Matt for the links.

What I would like to use is a pot with drainage holes on the bottom and holes wrapping up onto the side. I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to use the Aircone pots for these Phrags.

Thanks everybody for all your feedback!

Here are the two Phrags that I need to repot:

Phrag Grande
I got it last year at Silva Shore Fest. I know with its parental background you don't usually let it sit in water but it seems to love it, sucks it right up fast.

IMG_2773 by cponsolle, on Flickr

Phrag kovachii ('Laura' x 'Ana')
I got this from Glen Decker/Piping Rock last fall. It was last repotted May 2014. The roots are coming out of the bottom and the top of the pot.

IMG_2774 by cponsolle, on Flickr

Nice looking plants, Carol!

They are already in the pots with drainage holes at the bottom it looks like?
If you want extra holes onto the side as you say, look up repotme or other vendors mentioned in this thread.

Why drilling the holes with heated iron when they are great pots already made for you? lol

Hope you find good pots.

Latest posts

Back