Aerangis kirkii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just opened up a few days ago. I have not put my nose on it after dark, but it’s not fragrant during the daytime. I purchased this plant in May of 2020 from The Tarzan Group. From time to time they have some harder to source aerangis species offered.

enjoy.

Loving the leaves!!

View attachment 30458View attachment 30459

Thanks for all the kind complements. To follow up, I strolled into the grow room this AM before the lights turned on and was immediately overwhelmed with a somewhat stale and unpleasant wafting smell of a rest stop urinal. Those two flowers managed to fill the entire 22x24ft room. Fighting that reasonable voice in my head, I forced myself to kneel down low and stick my nose directly into the blooms. I was very surprised by the pleasant and sweet fragrance of the flowers up close. Definitely a strong sweet base reminiscent of jasmine and gardenia. Unexpected how different the fragrance can be far away from the source. And I am very happy to have avoided a direct shot of the other not so sweet smell.

Thanks for all the kind complements. To follow up, I strolled into the grow room this AM before the lights turned on and was immediately overwhelmed with a somewhat stale and unpleasant wafting smell of a rest stop urinal. Those two flowers managed to fill the entire 22x24ft room. Fighting that reasonable voice in my head, I forced myself to kneel down low and stick my nose directly into the blooms. I was very surprised by the pleasant and sweet fragrance of the flowers up close. Definitely a strong sweet base reminiscent of jasmine and gardenia. Unexpected how different the fragrance can be far away from the source. And I am very happy to have avoided a direct shot of the other not so sweet smell.
Makes me think who the pollinator it was supposed to attract that night lol.

Latest posts

Back