Aerangis biloba x sib

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cute and chaste beauty! Can anyone somehow describe the scent?

I'll take a stab though the scent on this one is unique and definitely subject to differing interpretations. Also, I've only smelled the flowers of my own plant, so I can't say for sure how variable the scent is.

It seems like the scent on the first night or two the flowers open is a bit regrettable. A stale urine scent, like a poorly maintained public bathroom. On subsequent nights, this develops into a beautiful musky floral fragrance, perhaps a bit like hyacinth, in combination with fruity notes. It's quite wonderful, and this is one of the more fragrant orchids I grow.

One thing to note about the scent is that the flowers are most fragrant for a brief period shortly after sunset/dark then much less so throughout the night. My plant also seems to do another quick but strong fragrance drip around sunrise.

If you're on the fence about getting one, I'll say it's probably one of the more forgiving and vigorous Aerangis species and very rewarding.

Latest posts

Back