Advice needed kovachii seed sowing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gary, thanks for sharing your receipes! I do use p668 full strength for catts but seem to me quite 'hot' for phrags... at least for species. I'll try for hybrids.
Justin, thanks for your words. I do have some new pods hanging out thee, but for others I have to wait till next flowering season...

Enviado desde mi SGH-I337M mediante Tapatalk

We lost some posts here during the server switch...

A Few seedlings (about 200) have recovered from the cooking event in my growing room and are starting to do it well again.

Following the suggestion of Eric and Lance I am going to call this strain "spartans" because the seedlings are among the 1/1000 most heat resistant from the whole seedpod... so the seedlings have been highly "selected"... I do not know if this is going to be positive in flower size and shape but for sure is going to be good to start a line of heat resistant kovachiis as was said by Lance.

jyjejy8u.jpg

We lost some posts here during the server switch...

A Few seedlings (about 200) have recovered from the cooking event in my growing room and are starting to do it well again.

Following the suggestion of Eric and Lance I am going to call this strain "spartans" because the seedlings are among the 1/1000 most heat resistant from the whole seedpod... so the seedlings have been highly "selected"... I do not know if this is going to be positive in flower size and shape but for sure is going to be good to start a line of heat resistant kovachiis as was said by Lance.

Yes, the first step is to establish a line that will grow at warm temps better than the wild plants, and then later start to improve the flower quality.

Last edited:
As an orchid enthusiast (husband says addict) I would be interested in more heat tolerant Kovachii. Dawn Dawson

I've tested several media... some comercial and some made by myself... I am having the best results with MS at 1/4 adding some calcuim nitrate, banana, and maltodextrine. Sometimes I put also peptone but not always. It is critical to buffer the media. (I use MES).
The use of maltodextrine allows to decrease the agar to 2-3gr/l keeping fair consistency of the media and very good difussion rates (this gives you more time between replates).

Troy, Phrag species are much slower than hybrids... but in about one year under normal conditions you can have kovachii seedlings ready to be deflasked.
I cooked my flasks because my AC system went off for a few days and the surviving seedlings had to start again from undiferenciated callus...

I sow at about the same time some andreettae hybrids and are ten times the size of the kovachii seedlings...

Last edited:
Hello Eliseo! what hqppens with the seedlibgs at the end?

Latest posts

Back