Advice needed kovachii seed sowing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Bad news....
I had to travel and during my ausence the cooling system went off. My growing room reached 42°C during 3 days... I´ve lost a huge amount of Phrag flasks... of course 90%-95% of the kovachii died. I am going to be very happy If i can rescue 25-50 kovachii plantlets. I am devastated.

andreettae crosses are quite resitant to heat and are starting to recover slowly.

I have some pictures but are so obscene for slipper growers.

Some Pictures of my disaster as requested by Eric:

yruzemyg.jpg

4ududehu.jpg

jupu8a3u.jpg

On the positive side:
1-I´ve learned that I cannot trust in electronic devices.
2-The few surviving plants are going to be extremely heat resistant :)

Last edited:
Hell Eliseo! That is terrible, I am very sorry that this had to happen. ( a few months ago I lost a whole flask import, because a staff member who was charging his cell phone, turned on a heater at the same time and cooked the whole consignment of flasks) so it is not only electronic devices you can't trust, human error can be just as devastating!

You know this story is not nearly as unusual as we would wish! Flask rooms are very, very vulnerable! If I ever have that kind of space I will have to buy an auxiliary generator and the services of a human to monitor when I'm not there!
Eliseo, I'm so very, very sorry this happened to you.

Thanks a lot for your comments.
I just made an order for this device:
http://www.elertus.com/
I think that the combination of this device and a cell phone with internet connection in the growing room is going to allow me to monitor the GR conditions from my smartphone.
Definitively, most part of the species seedlings are not recovering :(, but some crosses are quite happy...for example, the andreettae x pearcei flasks were boosted by the heat.

Last edited:
Did you thought that the disaster in my growing room was going to be the end of this thread? Me too...
...but some kovachii flasklings are tough enough to keep fighting!
Some plants are recovering!
sa4u5a8a.jpg

Good news! Glad to see these guys overcame the adversity. You have a natural selection experiment going on, only the strongest and most adaptable survived!

Good to see that not all is lost!
Eliseo, the P668 that you are using is from Sigma? If it is, my understanding is that P668 is half strength M&S, so in effect you would be using Quarter strength M&S, not so? The reason why I am asking is that I am using half strength M&S with a few additives, and am considering further reducing the concentration for mother flasks.

Hi Gary, I am using 1/2*P668 from Phytotechlab that is in effect 1/4*M&S. I use to correct sugar to 20 gr/l, and vitamins to full strength. I am testing also the effect of correcting peptone to full strength. To avoid pH unwanted changes I add 1gr/l of MES.
Also I made a couple of flasks with the NPK ratios of Klite.

Enviado desde mi SGH-I337M mediante Tapatalk

Hi Eliseo, thanks for replying. Have you tried Half strength M&S (full strength p668)? I am trying to figure out if there is any benefit to reducing the concentration any further. I am getting good results with half strength M&S , with. Vitamins, peptone and sugar adjusted to full strength. I have started testing an amino acid based formula, and a hybrid of M&S with added amino acids, but it. Is still to early to tell if there is any benefit. All this medium testing is generating a lot of flasks, and seed supply has now become my biggest limiting factor. I have started with the replanting, but that is a tedious task and there are hundreds that need doing.

i am so sorry to hear about your disaster! hopefully you have some new pods started already so you can re-stock your lab...

Back