Advice needed kovachii seed sowing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growing very slowly... but growing!
e583b08697aab862457f909d5902fcb4.jpg

They look good, Eliseo! How about sharing a few growing tips? Like substrate, water quality in terms of TDS and pH, light levels and temperatures! Also, how long have they been in compot?

Thanks,

Tom, I grow them side by side with the other Phrag. seedlings. The substrate is perlite mixed with sphagnum. In some of the pots I put some calcareous fragments of 0.5 to 1 cm but I do not see better results.
I think that the key factor is the temperature:
Here I do have nights of about 12C to 14C and during the day the peak temperature is about 30C for a couple of hours at noon.
About fertilizing I do have a proportional pump mixer that is giving a final concentration of about 10PPM of N. I use MSU pure water alternated with WuxalCa or Klite. I water them 3 times/week, two fertizing and one without fertilizer. The seedlings are geting a couple of hours of direct sunlight early in the morning.
I made the first deflask about 6 months ago and they are growing slowly... but i am very happy!

They look good. Are these the ones that got cooked when your A/C failed?

Hi Rick,

The night before sowing I put the seed in a test tube containing water + table sugar, I put a rubber cap and apply vaccum with a syringe. (8h of vaccum treatment is enough)
My standard sterilization procedure is 10 minutes in 10% bleach, 10 minutes in 5% bleach and one rinse in distilled water.
When you say 10%, is that 1 part standard houeshold bleach and 9 parts water?

Back