Advice needed kovachii seed sowing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rick,

The night before sowing I put the seed in a test tube containing water + table sugar, I put a rubber cap and apply vaccum with a syringe. (8h of vaccum treatment is enough)
My standard sterilization procedure is 10 minutes in 10% bleach, 10 minutes in 5% bleach and one rinse in distilled water.

I do not know the procedure you explained the first pase vacuum with sugar is to the effect that it seeds?. I often contamination sown when I open the pods. your bottle okay?

Update:

Are going much slower than expected...

Starting differentiation before replating:

utdq.jpg

This is a cross of besseae x andreettae that I sow the same day ...

zay6.jpg

Nice, let me know when besseae x andreettae flasks are up for sale ;)

Like raymond i was also interested in what the vacuum does to aid the sterilization process=)

Nice, let me know when besseae x andreettae flasks are up for sale ;)

Like raymond i was also interested in what the vacuum does to aid the sterilization process=)

I have only a few flasks of besseae x andreettae... I am planning to sell the first batch as NBS or at least as well established seedlings... but more to come!:)

I did not understood correctly the question from Raymond, my English is not very good and I think he made a direct translation with google translate.

The process is quite easy:

As you may know one of the fundamental problems during Phragmipedium seed sterilization is that the seed does not wet easily and it is common to have high rates of contamination.

My procedure is as follows:

-Put the seed in a small vial 2-3 cc with a rubber cap.
Make a solution of 1tsp of sugar in 100cc of distilled water and add a couple of drops of Tween20 or regular liquid soap.

-Insert the solution in the vial using a syringe (fill the vial up to 2/3 of the total volume).

-with the same syringe apply vaccum to the vial (extract all the air from the vial).

-Shake it well for 5-10 minutes and let it overnight or up to 24 h

The solution should be able to wet the seed completely and the sugar helps to the decapsulation of some types of sopres and other contaminats... Also I have found that this procedure reduces the germination time

After this process you should sterilize the seed using the regular procedure of Calcium or Sodium hypochlorite.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
This is all very interesting especially for folks like me who have not flasked before. Now if I can just remember all these tips when I get to it someday!

I think it is an amazing topic, from only group of 30 tiny cells to a living plant....very well documented, many thanks for that!I hope the end of topic will be a nice group of flowering plants there and if these ones are from selfings, maybe there will be a white kovachii among them!!! ( and then you will be a rich man!!!)

Update: some seedlings are starting to root. they are developing very slowly but I think that i have got the correct media.

uryjure2.jpg

I also constructed a box connected to the air conditioning system to keep some phrag species, specially kovachii, cooler than the hybrids.

a7a5ares.jpg

Last edited:
It is P668 at 1/2, sugar corrected to 20gr/l and 50g/l of homogeneized banana. It is important to use a good buffer (MES for example) to avoid pH decrease and keep the flasks cool. I've lost some flasks because of temperatures above 26C.

Enviado desde mi SGH-I337M mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back