A True Dwarf - Paph. charlesworthii 'Ball State'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bert Wright got this in May of 1980 when he did some trading with the curator of the orchid collection at Ball State University.

This is about as colorful as it gets, but I suspect the dorsal might be a little darker if grown under cooler conditions.

cwbs2.jpg

The five-growth plant is growing in a 3" Rands Aircone pot.
  • Leafspan is 20.5cm
  • Individual leaf length is 9.5cm and width is 1.5cm
  • Natural Spread of flower is 4.5cm
  • Petal length is 3.0cm and .9cm wide
  • Pouch is 1.4cm wide at its widest point and 3.0cm long
  • Dorsal sepal is 3.3cm wide and 3.4cm long
  • Ventral is 1.4cm wide and 2.4cm long
  • Stem is 7.0cm long from leaf to back of flower
The 3/4" wide tag is shown for scale.

very interesting one... I am sure it would have a longterm place in my collection...

We call it the Baoshan type of charlesworthii. It comes from an area close to the Burmese border, some plants can be even smaller, 10 cm leafspan total. The light color of the dorsal is typical, and usually this type of charlesworthii clumps very freely and is easy both to grow and to bloom.

Look at that dorsal, a species can have it! :drool::drool: Scott do you know if any breeding was done, selfed or any sibs?
We call it the Baoshan type of charlesworthii. It comes from an area close to the Burmese border, some plants can be even smaller, 10 cm leafspan total. The light color of the dorsal is typical, and usually this type of charlesworthii clumps very freely and is easy both to grow and to bloom.

a pitty it is not offered more often... :)
I agree Ramon but fear that area will be cleared with the demand/desire for this cutie!

Scott, this is an very interesting charles variety. Although the dorsal is slightly pale the whole flower has beside the dwarfy size that je ne sais quoi.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Latest posts

Back