A Scottish Kovachii in Spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the single bloom of mine lasted more than 3 weeks. It's true the shape was better for the first days, but the bloom was stunning anyway for a while.

That's good to hear. And as I read in phraggy's thread, they can produce two flowers sometimes. I want to get rid of a few plants, so when I have more space (and don't buy too many orchids in the meantime :) ), maybe I'll make some room for a kovachii. I really loved my Fritz Schomburg when it bloomed and I'd like to have the parents as well.

I bought it from a grower in Germany, who had brought a number of adult plants from one of the two nurseries in Peru, just under 6 years ago. They were the first CITES-legal adult kovachii's brought into Europe. So I presume this plant is a (seed) offspring of two of those original 10 plants. I'm afraid I can't recall now which of the two nurseries in Peru this one came from. If I do recollect I'll post it here.

Another lovely kovachii Don beautifully photographed. My second bud has just started to open. Will post a pic when fully open probably Friday.

Ed

One of the things I marvel at with kovachii is the way it grows once open. Just measured it again, about 32 hours after last doing so. It is now pretty much exactly 7" or just under 18cm wide, so it put on just under one cm in that time.

Am pleased there is no reflexive curving in the petals so far.

Just up to 19cm wide now, but the growth rate of the bloom is slowing, is my impression. Wonder if it will reach 21cm width like it was before, or whether the 2nd bloom / bud will take too much out of it?

Latest posts

Back