A Scottish Kovachii in Spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Just took these photos today. I bought the plant 4 years ago, and this is the 3rd blooming. Usually the bloom emerges in late October or in November. The bud gets to be almost the size of a golf ball, and has these wonderful hairy spikes all over it, almost like a chestnut.

I think the spike began about 6 to 8 weeks ago, maybe late May at the earliest. So 5 months is about right. The blooms have usually lasted about 18 days for me.

I water it heavily at least once a day, and the pot sits in 1 or 2 cm of water.

lovely pictures! The spike looks fat and that picture of the hairs on the bud is fascinating.

Can you cultural info if you wouldn't mind? Light, humidity and PH would be helpful. thanks

Always like to see the progress of plants from spike to bloom. Thanks for putting the pics on Achamore and hope everything goes well with the buds.

Ed

My kovachii doesn't have a red pigmentation at the base. Could it be that I got a mislabeled plant?

My kovachii doesn't have a red pigmentation at the base. Could it be that I got a mislabeled plant?

Not all PKs have the red pigmentation visible on the plant. I have a non-pigmented seedling. I would not worry about it until it blooms as long as the rest of the plant's characteristics fit kovachii.

I grow this in my cool section, haven't kept too close a record of temperatures but I avoid it getting below 12C˚ and do my best to avoid it getting above 20C˚. I water it heavily once or twice a day. My water is spring water with lots of dissolved salts, and it is distinctly acidic, about 6.3 on the Ph scale.

I have chunks of soft limestone in the mix, and also sitting in the tray that the pot sits in. I don't like the clear pots, and this one now presents me with a challenge. The problem with the clear pots is that black algae growth which eventually sets in, and is toxic to the roots. This one is now so root-bound that the repotting is going to be tough, but I guess I had better get around to it this winter, once the bloom has past.

No artificial light for this section of the greenhouse, so its light levels are simply what the sun and clouds allow this far north. I'm roughly level with Glasgow and Edinburgh, but on a small island on the west coast, where sea breezes and the Gulf Stream keep temperatures here more moderate than anywhere else in Scotland.

My feeding regime has been nearly non-existent. Then recently Jerry Fischer mentioned the little Jobes fertiliser 'logs', and I ordered a bunch in and have started using them. Suits me well that approach.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Just an ordinary pot, it doesn't hold water.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the media is, as I haven't repotted since I bought it. On the one hand it does rather look in need of repotting, but on the other hand the new growths have been good and vigorous, wanted to leave well enough alone. But as the middle has been left deserted, I guess I need to act.

Latest posts

Back