A rare sanderianum hybrid-Paph. Ultor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Some weeks ago a very old hybrid of the genus Paphiopedilum came in flower, the cross between Paph. sanderianum and Paph. lawrenceanum, the Paph. Ultor. The frist time this hybrid flowerd 1903 in the collection of YOUNG.

PaphiopedilumUltor-lawrenceanumXsan.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

That's very striking Olaf! Normally, I don't like the sanderianum crosses with anything but other long petalled species or hybrids. However, this is an exception. It is stunning!

I would not have expected something this nice!
Has Ultor been used much in past breeding? I have to wonder what was appealing to growers/hobbyists back then? Just think where sand X's would be today if someone took this one & ran with it!

Today I had the possibility to make some more pictures of Paph. Ultor in the nursery of Franz Glanz in Unterwössen

PaphiopedilumUltor-sanderianumXl-1.jpg

PaphiopedilumUltor-sanderianumXlawr.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

In the past no hybrid was made with this cross.

One in a millon clone! This has to be a rare one. I can remember this cross being remade shorty after the rediscovery of sandie but never saw flowers of this quality.

The staminode is very eye-catching on this one.
Not only the staminode but also the colouration with the contrast between dark maroon and light yellow green.
This seems to be a very good exemplar of this cross.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

wow, had never expected this hybrid to be so impressive... a pitty it is not made more often... How large is this plant? I cannot estimate it from the picture...

Latest posts

Back