A problematic cattleya lueddemanniana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This arrived and was described as a pale lueddemanniana but the growth cycle is all wrong. Instead of growing and flowering in the spring like the rest of this species it grows over spring and summer and flowers in August. It’s in flower with lueddemanniana ‘cerro verde’ which makes me wonder whether it’s the same cross with warscewiczii as this clone is supposed to be.
it would account for the growth cycle, larger plant and flowering period.
whatever it is, it’s a nice thing with pale lilac flowers and a vigorous grower,
744241A8-C6DC-419C-A9F8-18D1286F6A30.jpeg
9893DB2C-2B03-42FC-8490-5B76DD7465EB.jpeg
David

It has the shape of a lueddemaniana and could very well be the concolor form.

Besides the reason you give of the different flowering season (which my lueddemanianas have done before even after settling and blooming consistently in the right spring/summer seasons), there may be other reasons:

1. concolors flower later than the type
2. recent imports bloom off season up to 2 years while adjusting (esp if from Southern Hemisphere)
3. second growth of year gets strong enough to bloom a second time.
4. it would be almost impossible to have warscewiczii as the second ‘hybrid’ parent as concolor warscewicziis are very rare, and almost never use to create concolor hybrids.
5. The possibility of warneri albescent is more likely as this plant or as other parent (bred with concolor lueddemaniana).

Just some ideas to consider.

Dr Leslie, I was hoping that we could tap into your knowledge on cattleyas.
I’ve had a very similar response to yours when I posted this on the facebook forum for ’cattleya lovers’ from a guy who sounds like he knows what he’s talking about.
This plant has flowered like this for six years now, since I received it.
This makes me think that the later growth and flowering is genetic in origin and that this clone is probably a pure lueddemanniana.
It also has a couple of well developed horns on the column, typical of lueddemanniana.

This arrived and was described as a pale lueddemanniana but the growth cycle is all wrong. Instead of growing and flowering in the spring like the rest of this species it grows over spring and summer and flowers in August. It’s in flower with lueddemanniana ‘cerro verde’ which makes me wonder whether it’s the same cross with warscewiczii as this clone is supposed to be.
it would account for the growth cycle, larger plant and flowering period.
whatever it is, it’s a nice thing with pale lilac flowers and a vigorous grower,
View attachment 21709
View attachment 21710
David
Love this, what’s its name?

This is the clone’s best flowering from two years ago. Four big flowers close to 17cm across. The front lead then split and produced two smaller bulbs and since it also needed repotting, we are not quite back to the size of this growth. The first photo is the more accurate one for colour.
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0066 2.JPG
David

This arrived and was described as a pale lueddemanniana but the growth cycle is all wrong. Instead of growing and flowering in the spring like the rest of this species it grows over spring and summer and flowers in August.

Maybe the rest of the species have the cycle wrong hahaha! :D

If I were an orchid, I'd probably choose to grow in spring and summer etc too hehehe

On the other hand, you mentioned growing and flowering in the spring (in general for the rest of the species). So does that just mean this particular plant does pretty much the same as the rest of the species, but just takes a bit longer to grow ...... as in it grows into the summer time? I would think that taking a bit longer to grow ----- into the summer time, doesn't sound unusual.

If you had said that the rest of the species grows in winter and flowers in the spring (or something), then that would be different.

Latest posts

Back