A pair of Paph randsii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Reaction score
Hi all,

My second real post! I feel so accomplished now. Here are two Paph randsii in first bloom. Both from Sam Tsui's "New World' x 'California Dream' sib cross. Not the 10 flowers of the best from that cross but a good start at 6 flowers each. At about 8 weeks open, these are well past peak bloom as I've been sort of busy and couldn't get to the pix until now. Expecting the flowers to drop within the next week. I like randsii a lot but like another ST'er mentioned, the odor (fragrance=good, odor=not so good) is a bit reminiscent of cat pee. I grow in a small space and with two of these going at the same time, I definitely noticed something smelling a bit off-putting whenever I went in. You'll need to have a real appreciation for randsii whenever you stand right on top of them at peak bloom. Definitely not something you want to bring into the dining room to appreciate.

Andy

Aspiring to be more than a Paph Hack

D52_2240-xrST.jpg

D52_2246-xrST.jpg

D52_2248-xrST.jpg

D52_2249-xrST.jpg

Very well done. Im struggling with randsii,,,what is your culture,,, please share. Water, medium and fert.
Congrats, both are pretty good

Hello Andy,
well done! These are wonderful flowers.
I didn't know the odour is that bad, but the sight of it is recompensation enough!
Unfortunateley I ruined my first one by adding some limestone to the pottingmedium; ignorance can be leathal!
I have a new one since last year it has now a leafspan of 12cm, so it'll be some time before I can show some flowers...
Michael

That is really nice. The symmetry of the petals is quite impressive. I remember when I first saw photos of these, how the petals were all curling in different ways. Line breeding seems to be doing a good job at getting uniform petals.

I am green with envy for your growing success!

Congrats on your succes! I, too, am filled with that "...green-eyed monster which doth mock/the meat it feeds on"!

Such a beautiful species...and your flowers seem to be of a very good quality, indeed!

Kind regards, Jens

Funny description lol.. broken-tired, I prefer out of shape individual flower qualities as opposed to flat and round especially on brachys, and some multi florals that a sos judge would consider, I would not, as far as flower shape or conventional quality etc.. is objectionable.. broken-tired to me is a good "hack" description

Latest posts

Back